Qualcomm Demonstrates Gesture-Controlled Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Well.. Not sure why that would be useful in a phone. :\
I mean.. If you were in public or out and about, not sure how useful gestures would be.

It's cool, but I don't see any real practical use in a phone, for laptops and tablets maybe; considering they can be used for presentations nowdays.
I guess you could use it in a phone too for presentations..

But really, I would like to check back in the comments and see what everyone could use it for? besides the "show off to the friends" one lol.

RealJames

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
In any situation where voice commands are better than manual input, but where noise/silence is a concern, this could be useful.
If your hands are dirty and you don't want to touch the screen, but maybe it's important to be quiet, then the gesture could be nice.

If you are cooking and want to see the next page on the recipe,
If you are eating a greasy pizza and reading Toms and don't want to tissue your fingers every three seconds.
If you are the kind of person who cleans his screen every 2.5 seconds to remove any fingerprints.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It may be useful if the CPU usage is very low. because that kind of gesture control is very old.

There are apps that will allow the front facing camera on your phone to detect both hands and perform actions (though battery life suffers as you will either have 1 core at full load, or in a single core system, things becoming sluggish.

this has also been done with webcams.

What i would like is a system that can track booth hands and a few fingers, and provide a 3D environment on the screen where you can work with a gesture based desktop to perform some tasks where if you move your hands away from the device it can have some way of detecting that you are reaching for something not in view and zoom out accordingly.

I have worked on various gesture based UI's in the past and the hand gesture interested me in relation to mobile RTS games (though I lack the resources to fully develop it and lack the phd title needed for anyone else to take you seriously enough to even consider an idea from you)

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]realjames[/nom] this could be useful.If your hands are dirty and you don't want to touch the screen, but maybe it's important to be quiet, then the gesture could be nice.If you are cooking and want to see the next page on the recipe, If you are eating a greasy pizza and reading Toms and don't want to tissue your fingers every three seconds.If you are the kind of person who cleans his screen every 2.5 seconds to remove any fingerprints.[/citation]

Thank you! I was looking for good usage scenario's this technology would be good for.

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Finally we have the potential to do the real Jedi mind-control-trick-move in a game! :D Now we only need a new Knights of the Old Republic...

Status
Not open for further replies.