Quality Vocal Recording

taavetoff

Estimable
Apr 6, 2014
Hello everyone. Im pretty new when it comes to audio and stuff. I have a possibility to get a audio-technica AT2020 XLR Microphone with Behringer Xenyx 1202 mixer. All this stuff i would use for vocal recording (youtube, livestreaming). What i wanna ask is if i actually wanna get quality vocal, do i really need a good expensive sound card? Because what i currently have is some cheap creative sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio pci-e soundcard, which i bought last year for about 60$.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
I would say no as your current soundcard is just as good if not better than your onboard mic-pre in the behringer mixer...
For speaking vocals (not singing) what you have is most likely going to be just fine.
Make sure that you use phantom power with that mic, and that you are using a line level input into your soundcard so you are not re-amping the signal.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I would say no as your current soundcard is just as good if not better than your onboard mic-pre in the behringer mixer...
For speaking vocals (not singing) what you have is most likely going to be just fine.
Make sure that you use phantom power with that mic, and that you are using a line level input into your soundcard so you are not re-amping the signal.

Solution