Question about Laptop Battery and AC Adapter Charger, need help

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi guys, I need to know if upgrading your laptop battery requires you to upgrade your AC Adapter (charger) as well?

Scenario:

1. The Laptop Input and Regular AC Adapter Output are both 18.5Vdc at 3.5A

2. There is a 12 cell battery that is 10.8V at 8800mAh (95Wh) that will apparently work for my Laptop

So would I need to buy a new charger for my laptop that equals at least 95Watts at "18.5Volts * Amps". Or am I supposed to stick with the charger the laptop came with. I am confused, because I do not know if I am supposed to match the chargers specs with the battery or the laptop itself. Thanks.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks alot man, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

Now that I know that thanks to you :) just one more think. I know that people say the "volts" of the AC Adapter have to be very close to the laptops "volts" and preferably the same. I also know it is said that the "amps" of the charger should be the same or MORE. How much more can it be, can it be alot more? For example:

1. Laptop/Original AC Adapter Charger say 18.5Vdc at 3.5A (65W)
2. After Original AC Adapter was broke, picked-up a different AC Adapter Charger that's specs are 19V at 4.74A (95W)

Would this be O:K? If not, if so, or if it's not recommended, why and what are the risks. Thanks again.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

OK, so the volts are acceptable. But, do u know if there could actually be too many amps. Would that be possible (within a realistic level)?

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

You can't have too many amps because the battery will only take in as fast as it can, the volatge is what you have to watch, but 19v where an 18.5v was used before is fine, but no more than that.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

OK, perfect. Thanks for your help bro

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Hopefully I understand all this now so I hope u can tell me if I am correct on this last scenario.

(Completely different devices that the Laptop I was previously talking about).

1. I have an Acer Laptop (regular size), and an Acer Netbook (tiny).
2. I still have both of the original Acer AC Adapters Chargers.
3. Both AC Adapters are 19V surprisingly.
4. The amps of the Acer Laptop are obviously way higher than the Acer Netbook at about 1.5A more

So I guess if I wanted I could charge my Acer Netbook with the Acer Laptops AC Adapter Charger. But should not charge my Acer Laptop with the Acer Netbook AC Adapter due to low amps. Correct?

(and the connectors are exactly the same) So I just want to make sure I have the right idea with your guidance.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

I forgot something, sorry to ask u so many questions. What would the effects be of charging with sufficient Voltage, but not nearly enough amps (just so I can know). Would it not charge at all, would it charge but no quickly enough to keep up, would it damage your AC Adapter, or finally would it damage your Laptop?

Same thing for Voltage, if you had too much or not enough. Would it not charge, would it damage...ect...same questions above.

I hope u can quickly answer my last two posts if possible. I don't think I could possibly ask any-more questions :eek:

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

It wouldn't cause damage, just charge alot slower.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

It would charge alot slower if the volts were proper and it didn't have alot of amps I assume u r saying. But if the volts were way to high it would cause damage to your laptop right? and possibly if they were way to low maybe too?

dodgyx666

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Too high or low volts could cause damage, but amps won't cause damage regardless.

.5v difference from 18.5v give or take will be fine, but no more or less than that. If you are working with lower volts to begin with then the tolerance would have to be lowered.

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Thanks so much. That clears everything up. I would give all your answers Best Answer but I can only select one :) Thanks.