Question on Fresh OS Install and External Monitor

boddole

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello everyone, I recently did a fresh Windows 7 OS install on a HP Pavilion dv6-6170us (General Specs), however I didn't have time to install new drivers. The next day, I booted the computer (which gave the "windows log in screen" sound), but the screen was black and now will not display anything.

I tried plugging the laptop into an external monitor (with 2 different monitors) and neither recognize any signal coming from the laptop. So I was wondering, is it possible that the external monitors cannot get any input because the laptop does not have the correct (or any) drivers to do so?

Essentially, I am trying to determine if I should get a new screen, or just scrap this thing if one or more internal parts are defective/damaged.

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you for reading.

thetechy

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
Are you able to view the display on laptop screen when you first start the laptop. For example, when you press the power button on laptop do you see hp logo onscreen? If yes, try entring the BIOS by pressing the F2 or Del key on keyboard as soon as you press the power button.

If there is no display on laptop screen as well as on external screen and you hear the windows login jingle, it means there is a defect in motherboard of laptop. you may try to get it repaired as sometimes the problem is only minor, however, if entir motherboard swap is required, it would be your call as it might be costly to replace motherboard.

boddole

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Hm, no I don't have any display at all. I suppose its worth getting it looked at by someone....