Question Regarding Internet Usage & Being DOS'd

DessyT

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
In my home we currently don't have unlimited usage in terms of how much GB we use from download/upload usage and because of that, we check it on a daily basis to ensure that we aren't passing over our limit. As of recent, I've been getting DOS'd (not for an extremely long time, maybe max 20-30 minutes) & our download usage has been abnormally high (3-5 GB, where we normally use .5-2 GB) per day. I'm not a computer genius so my question is, does me being DOS'd have any relation to my unusually high download usage?

Solution
Im not sure if you have a dynamic or static ip.
Well in any case first go to http://www.whatismyip.com and record your IP
Next turn off your router/modem when nobody is using the internet. Wait a few minutes. Usually leaving it overnight is best just in case (it can take a while for a dynamic ip to change) Turn on your router/modem again
go to the whatismyip.com and see if your ip changed.
Hopefully you stop get dosd

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
The router still has to get the data and inspect it before dropping the packets, so I'd say it can contibute to your bandwidth. You may still want to report it to your ISP so that if you have problems with your billing, they will at least have a log of you calling in about the issue.

DDoS usually attack servers, or use non-TCP/UDP protocols to knock out routers. If the router does not have open ports to the outside, then there are no packets to be inspected / dropped.

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

Yes, sorry. I didn't notice you stated no inbound connections. As most homes have a game console and/or a DVR, I'd expect at least some ports to be open.

In any case, it should be discussed with his ISP.

Im not sure if you have a dynamic or static ip.
Well in any case first go to http://www.whatismyip.com and record your IP
Next turn off your router/modem when nobody is using the internet. Wait a few minutes. Usually leaving it overnight is best just in case (it can take a while for a dynamic ip to change) Turn on your router/modem again
go to the whatismyip.com and see if your ip changed.
Hopefully you stop get dosd

Solution