Solved! Radeon 7970m won't display on default monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thebro1367

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
I have a alienware m15x and recently upgraded the graphics card
I uninstalled the old card (amd hd 5850) and installed the new one (amd radeon 7970m) just fine but when I reboot after installing the screen goes black after the windows 7 logo

The screen is still on cause it still lit but its just displaying black,
Leading me to believe that the graphics card is only displaying on my VGA port or some other port
(My old card did this but all I had to do was use my display port)

Is there a way to force my graphics card to display on my monitor?

Solution
In the future, I would suggest changing the system back to the integrated graphics before updating as you did here, and then once the new one is in, get the system to detect it and change it over as before.

First you need to get it to detect and use the right card.

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your AMD graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Control Center".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can...
In the future, I would suggest changing the system back to the integrated graphics before updating as you did here, and then once the new one is in, get the system to detect it and change it over as before.

First you need to get it to detect and use the right card.

A. Uninstall, and then reinstall, the latest graphics card driver.
B. Make sure that your AMD graphics card is set as the default graphics card.

Here's the steps on how to set it to default.

1. Open the "Control Center".
2. Select "Manage 3D Settings" under 3D Settings.
3. Click on the "Program Settings" tab and select the program you want to choose a graphics card for from the drop down list.
4. Now select "preferred graphics processor" in the drop down list. (You can see what the automatic option is listed as global setting) If you want to use the dedicated graphics card, select High-performance AMD processor.

Once it is running on the right one, test the system again and see if the problem persists.

For ATI/AMD graphics cards the process varies.

You may need to open graphics then PowerPlay and set plugged in and/or battery to maximize performance.

You can also try going to graphics then 3D and move the slider to performance. Your computer may also have a switchable graphics tab where you can change the settings for individual programs.

Solution

Thebro1367

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Well I dont have an integrated graphics on my cpu
After a little tinkering I found that the card may not be booting at all
Also I cant open radeon settings because my computer will only boot in safe mode and when I try to run it in safe mode says the the driver is not functioning properly so I can't change settings

Thebro1367

Commendable
Jun 28, 2016
Ive tried a number of things and have seen many tutorials on it so I'm pretty sure it's installed correctly
I've also seen another weird issue
Whenever the new card Is installed without drivers my standard VGA driver won't go above 600x480
But If I have my old card with no drivers I can put it at 1152x684

Status
Not open for further replies.