Random FPS drop in game (League of Legends)

NarutotheSage

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Hello guys, first thread. For the past few weeks, whenever I play a game like league of legends, I get around 60-80 fps avg in game. Everything is fine until I get these random fps drops (game freezes for about 1-2 secs) and then the fps goes back to normal. This usually happens later in the game, but sometimes earlier, its very random.

I have been keeping track of this ever since it started happening and I noticed 2 things. A) Whenever I get these fps drops, I alt tab and I see CPU usage go DOWN. B) In addition, DISK usage goes UP (to 100%). I have disclosed an image below.

http://imgur.com/a/iiyR0

My specs are:
i5 6200u
Intel HD 520
1TB HDD
8GB DDR3 RAM

The following is my current configuration:
High Performance Power Plan
High Graphics Performance Plan (my plug is always plugged)

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

NarutotheSage

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Nothing much. I do have Avast running. I know when I start up the computer avast always makes my disk go to 100% (for about 30 secs) and then it goes back down. My graphics drivers are also running (btw, current intel graphics drivers are being used). Thats pretty much it.

Does this happen throughout the game or is it only during late game? Also does this happen only when you alt tab? I think what is happening is that the cpu is throttling down due to high temps. Have you tried lowering the settings?

NarutotheSage

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

Hi again. This usually happens mid game (~20-25mins), but it does occur late (~35mins) and sometimes even early game (~5mins). I have tried to lower settings, but still the same issue. Basically whenever I play and I get the freeze, I immediately alt tab to see what happens after my game goes back to normal. The pic I provided was after the freezing has stopped. When I alt tab the CPU usage goes down since I am not playing the game. Thanks again.

Can it be that my disk is going to sleep? I have considered it to be CPU overheating, but I got this laptop 2 months ago and the vents are pretty much dustless.

NarutotheSage

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016

I have no idea to be honest. Can you recommend me a good temperature moderating software that will log all temps? If I can see if there is an issue while I am playing (ie, from the moment I get that game freeze/fps drop) I can look up the temps at that moment to see if there is a problem. If there really is a heat problem, I can definitely see it. Thanks again!