Rare Apple I Computer Sold for Over $200K

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Don't throw away the first model of the Macintosh either (most did and ended up in either landfills or thrift stores).They are gaining more value as a collectors item (I picked up 2 original models at a thrift store about 7 years ago (yes,I repaired and restored them)).Less valuable but still a collectors item in a Macintosh 512K or even a Mac Plus to a lesser extent.Even more valuable than an original Macintosh (or 128k for later versions) is a LISA or Macintosh XL (worth more now than when new).Another very valuable Apple computer is a Apple III surprisingly (it was a flop).
I'm a PC user by the way.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]JollyGiant13[/nom]Why does this not surprise me?[/citation]
Thats what I was going to post!

samdsox

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
It's like purchasing one of the original Star Wars props or a discarded piece of the "Status of Liberty" before she had a make-over back in the 1980s.

What is a status of liberty? :)

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
It's still worthless trash. At least you can drive an antique car. Sit in antique furniture. Sure it's rare, so is Motorola's first cell phone (DynaTAC). I think I would rather have a useless DynaTAC than a useless Apple I. If apple ever goes out of vogue that Apple I will be worthless.

Trashit

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Some things stay the same and some things change. Apple are still as over priced as they ever were (I lol'd at the $666 price tag), however apple has long stopped being the innovative company that it once was, unless were talking about apple's ability to come up with new ways to fleece people of their money :p

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Some fanbois pays anything for a "religious" icon it seems, why not donate the money to charity at least it will be put to some good use!

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom] If apple ever goes out of vogue that Apple I will be worthless.[/citation] Apple, as with every little thing, will go out of vogue. But that computer will always increase in value as it is a key piece of computing history.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]It's still worthless trash. At least you can drive an antique car. Sit in antique furniture. Sure it's rare, so is Motorola's first cell phone (DynaTAC). I think I would rather have a useless DynaTAC than a useless Apple I. If apple ever goes out of vogue that Apple I will be worthless.[/citation]
Well you can still have a lot of fun with a vintage or older computers.One game that was awesome on those old compact Mac's was MAZE WAR which was the very first first person networked shooter and originally was created in 1972 or about 2 decades before Wolfenstein 3D.The 1985 Macintosh version was pretty true to the original.They made a Super Maze War sequel which I didn't like as much.Maze War was also played on the Xerox Alto too.
I found the first version of Microsoft Flight Simulator for the original Macintosh too.
However my favorite retro gaming is not on a Macintosh but rather DOS PC Games (liked the Amiga too).

Status
Not open for further replies.