Razer Blade 15 idle temp suddenly high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Painter

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I've had my Razer Blade 15 for about 5 months now and the average idle temp was around 45c. Usually while running idle the fans would be completely silent or barely noticeable. While running chrome with quite a few tabs open and running some recording software the temp would usually be around 60c. While gaming it would hover between 70 - 75c.

Those temps aren't bad but I decided to repaste the cpu and gpu anyway since it's a pretty easy process on this laptop. I used arctic silver 5 paste since I've had good results with it in the past. After repasting all temps dropped by roughly 2 - 3c. Not a lot but still decent for a laptop that's very thin and packing powerful hardware.

It was about 3 days after repasting I noticed that the idle temp right after starting up was now sitting at 55c with the fans being audibly louder than before. All other temps such as when I have chrome open or playing games are still the same. 60c when running chrome and other programs and 70 - 75c while gaming.

It's just the idle temp that seems to be suddenly high. I haven't installed anything new since I repasted the cpu and gpu and BIOS and drivers are all up to date. When I check task manager during idle it doesn't say that anything is using a lot of CPU power. I've also checked the battery management and it also reports that nothing is using a lot of CPU power during idle.

I've ran multiple scans with windows defender and malwarebytes but they say my system is clean. I should also mention that the idle temp is the same if I'm running on battery power as well. No matter how much or how little power the CPU gets the temp stays around 55c at idle. Same is true no matter how low the clock speed is on it. Surely I'm missing something here?

I'm starting to think that maybe something went wrong with the new paste and I should re apply it but I want some other opinions on it.

System Specs:

Razer Blade 15 (2018 edition)
OS - Windows 10 Home
CPU - i7 8750H 2.20GHz
GPU - GTX 1070 Max-Q
RAM - 16 GB
SSD - Samsung 512GB M.2 PCI Express Gen3

Doug Painter

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

Uhhh, to lower the temps a little bit? Repasting isn't hard at all. Especially with this laptop. I've added new thermal paste to a ton of different laptops and desktops and never had an issue.

Thanks for the helpful reply though. Or rather, non-helpful reply. Yep, exactly that.

nobspls

Proper
Mar 14, 2018
BTW you full well know what you were doing, and yet you went about lying about how it is "suddenly higher"? Why the pretense? What kind of help can anyone give you at this point? You already know what you did, and what you need to do, so.... what do you want a pity party?

Doug Painter

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

Lying? I guess you didn't read the part where I mentioned for 3 days after repasting the temps WERE LOWER than before the new paste. Also, if it was the repaste that caused the issue then why are the temps during gaming still the same and not higher like the idle temp?

I appreciate your scientific analysis of the situation but maybe try being less of a douche in the future. Also, a little reading comprehension helps too.

nobspls

Proper
Mar 14, 2018
For anyone that know about repasting the thermal compounds, 3 days later does NOT equal "suddenly". And you are the one calling people names, and you are the one lying. The evidence is clear and obvious.

Do NOT lie in your titles to bait clicks. You could have easily written: "Repasted Temps High on Blade 15. Please Help". But no, you chose to misrepresent your situation and try to troll everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.