Razer Core Plus MacBook?

HamTheEpicRuler

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
With the new Razer Core being able to power your laptop through thunderbolt 3 with a GPU outside with windows 10. If I bought a Macbook the super thin one with USB type C could I put windows 10 on it and use the Razer core to power it? Thanks!

HamTheEpicRuler

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015

I wasn't going to get it to game but in theory. Oh course I would rather go with Razer's laptop as it is cheaper and 4k

HamTheEpicRuler

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015

This is all theory stuff! I know Razer is overpriced Apple of PC this is why I don't own either and I built my PC but it would be cool for GPU acceleration on a laptop for video editing or gaming

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
if it's a normal laptop with ths usb type c then it will work, just saying apple have their own way of doing things so you can't be sure if it'll work. In theory it should, in practice doubt anyone would ever try.

Gamerfreak0103

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
Only problem is a MacBook's BIOS is really different from anything else really... Even if there's Windows installed, if the BIOS doesn't support switching graphics processors then there'll be problems every time you switch between Intel HD and Thunderbolt... Assuming it will even be able to utilize the thing in the first place. To be honest I wish it will be possible. Although it is highly unlikely that apple will implement support.

overanalysissam

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016

AFAIK Macbooks with discrete graphics support switching between their graphics cards depending on load and software. Knowing Apple though, they may be assholes about it and start disabling it for Windows on certain models.

I've been planning on doing this very same thing with a MacBook, but the more I think about it, the more I question whether the Intel M can handle much without burning out, especially with its fanless design. I'd wait a little more for a MBP with USB Type-C.

overanalysissam

Estimable
Jan 7, 2016
I should add that editing 4K on MacBooks is quite possible and even effortless, but there is still CPU throttling, though I'm not aware of how this affects editing, which should put a very similar amount of stress on the CPU.

pbalogh

Estimable
Jan 15, 2016
Solution

HamTheEpicRuler

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015

Good good

biasuz

Commendable
Mar 5, 2016
As a proof of concept we know that it works and that it has been done before with thunderbolt.

Check out the Bizon Box product.

We'll have to see if the lower bandwidth present in UBS 3 will present any limitations to this setup. Let's wait till the product comes out so that we can test it!

Duvrai

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
If I bought a Macbook the super thin one with USB type C ...
FYI That one has USB-C without thunderbolt. In fact Apple has not yet released any Mac with Thunderbolt 3. So besides the fact that it won't work until you or Apple hacks the drivers, you better wait for a new Mac release. But working hacks exist on current hardware. Google it.