Razer Kraken 7.1 no sound in games

Hutcheh

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
Hello All,

I purchased the Razer Kraken 7.1 at the end of November and just recently I have had problems with them.

Razer Synapse had an update recently, and I think it is to blame because the headphones have not worked since. Prior to the update the headphones worked phenomenally and without issue. Literally a textbook definition of plug in and play, all you had to do was set up virtual surround.

In the beginning, right after the update, I noticed that the headphones no longer worked out of game. Windows system noises would not work, the audio test would not work in the playback devices options, Youtube videos no longer have sound etc. But when I was in game, they worked fine. So I would quit out of a game, check the playback settings, making sure that the headphones are the default audio device in which they were.

I tried uninstalling synapse, this led to me having sound in and out of game but I could not use the virtual 7.1 that they were designed for, it would only be stereo and i could not use the macros on my Razer keyboard. I re installed synapse and I no longer have audio out of game again.

As I was becoming frustrated because I was running out of options, I hit the Windows key and X at the same time and selected Device Manager. In Device Manager I uninstalled the two Razer Kraken 7.1 drivers I could find then restarted my computer. After my computer booted up, I plugged in my headphones and Synapse recognized them right away. I noticed that I now had system noises which got me excited. All of the excitement came to an abrupt end when I tried setting up the virtual surround. When you click the set up button, you are supposed to hear a chopper circle around you, but I had nothing. No sound at all. I Started multiple games and noticed I do not have any sound in any of them either. If I re install Synapse, I will have in game sounds again, but no sounds are played out of game.

After re installing synapse so the sounds would work in game again, after I first boot up my PC the headphones will play system sounds until synapse starts. I learnt this by playing with the volume button to make system sounds quickly until synapse started.

I have also tried downloading synapse via the site, and the auto installer after the peripheral is recognized by the PC and neither of them worked. I thought maybe it was something to do with the versions being different.

Any ideas on what is going on? I have been trying since the latest update came out last week and I can't seem to figure it out.

Im_Infinity

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

it couldnt have been the update cause im using razer kraken's aswell, this problem happened to me a few weeks back i had to uninstall the drivers and uninstall synapse shut down the system take headset out start the system again re download synapse plug headphones in then it all worked fine after a computer restart

Hutcheh

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
So it works, kind of.

I noticed that the mixer is working now and I can enable chrome and other applications to play sound through the headphones by unmuting them, odd that they are muted to begin with.

This is something small and I probably won't worry about it too much but the system sounds don't play through the headphones, have any idea about that?

Im_Infinity

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

ok right click sound picture on bottom right click playback devices make sure the kraken is set to default device on both communication and device

Im_Infinity

Estimable
Mar 21, 2015

also if you have the razer surround pro you dont actually need it for the 7.1 kraken headset

CKoontz89

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015

I had the same problem after the update. But mine wouldn't work period. No sound in or out of game, microphone didn't work or anything. So I called support, he told me to uninstall which I did, then restart my computer and once my computer turned on it should work, which of course it did and I had sound! But no microphone for my in game. So he told me to install synapse which I did and I should be able to use my microphone. Well I did that, and now nothing works again. So I'm currently without a proper headset and the support won't do anything for me. Any ideas? I'm quite chapped on how they treated me.

Hutcheh

Estimable
Nov 29, 2014
Yes the driver installed correctly. Razer updates suck haha

As for CKoontz89,

Try what I did, it seemed to work pretty well but all that doesn't play is the system sounds. Just make sure when you go into synapse, to unmute the programs in the mixer. I absolutely LOATHE that Razer automatically mutes everything.