Razer Laptop for College

UpgradeComp

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I have chosen between more computers than you could possibly imagine, I decided on a Razer laptop. This is for college so the 14" would be more ideal than the pro 17.3". It is between the two and its a difference between 4 lbs and 6.5, which is quite a bit. The only thing keeping me from the 14", is the 1600x900 resolution. I have a 1080p 24" monitor that I'll have, but what is the difference between 1600x900 and 1920x1080. Is it really noticeable? Will I be able to hook a 1600x900 laptop up to a 1920x1080 monitor and use 1920x1080, or will it scale down? I'll be playing WoW, Battlefield, SWTOR (possibly), and Call of Duty on it. They both have the 765m and the 500$ price difference isn't a big deal to me. I am somewhat picky about screens, but if the difference isn't huge I will no doubt get used to it to get the 14" over the 17.3. Also, I am not a fan of the UI thing on the 17.3 or the placement of the track pad; I like it right in the middle, like on the 14". I am not open to any other brands, it is between these two. Like I said, if the the screen difference isn't too big, I'd rather have the 14". Is it possible to upgrade the screen to 1920x1080 at a computer store? Also, are the SSD's upgradeable? (ie. able to add another 128gb or replace the 128gb with a larger one.)

Here are the two models:

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-pro

Solution

Quite likely yes. However the engineering needed for it could be quite expensive. Contact your local IT-store and see if it possible! Or even contact Razer, as it is a premium product Razer could give you a 'special' offer. I just hope you get some good years in college and solve this laptop matter soon enough, good luck! :)

lostgamer_03

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
The difference shouldn't be too big of the screens. They have almost the same PPI because of the screen size differences, providing each a decent picture.

You can easily plug a screen to your laptop, via. HDMI or VGA. It is just to plug it in and play.

The weight and size would in my opinion really be an advance choosing the 14 inch version over the 17.3 inch version. Remember you have to carry that damn thing everywhere and a 17.3 inch notebook is simply not practical for a guy in your position.

Yes, you should be able to add any SSD you'd desire in your laptop. The HDD/SSD is one of the few upgradeable things in a laptop, and adding a better SSD will often provide better value compared to choosing a bigger SSD from the laptop manufacturer.

UpgradeComp

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

I never though about the size vs ppi, solid point. In fact, the 14" has a 131 ppi and the 17.3 has a 127 ppi haha. I was actually asking with the external monitor if when I plug a 1600x900 into the 1920x1080 monitor, will the resolution scale down to the laptops 1600x900? or will it be 1920x1080? The SSD being switchable makes me ecstatic because I can get a large SSD for cheap. All I would need to do is bring it to a computer shop near me and they could do it most likely? Like I said, I like the 14" more so if the screen will broadcast to 1920x1080 on a monitor I will definitely get it.

lostgamer_03

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Sorry I kinda left that question out.

The GPU of the laptop will determine wether you can use 1080p, and the GTX 765m supports 4k resolution, so yeah - No problem there. You can easily hook your laptop onto a 1080p monitor and play at 1080p and even higher if the monitor supports it, as mentioned with the 4k resolution. I did it myself when my desktop was broken, using my old HP laptop.

Changing a SSD in a laptop shouldn't be such a big deal, watching a youtube video will provide you with almost all the information and training you will need, or even reading an article. However, as you state yourself, getting it to an IT-store should certainly also work, if you're a little scared of going into action yourself.

UpgradeComp

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Perfect, you answered my questions perfectly and I have all the information I need to make my decision. Maybe you could help, I know the 14" in theory is better, but without it having 1920x1080 I guess that just worries me. The monitor hook up eases my mind a little bit, but it still worries me. Weight is not an issue for me (I don't want to seem like macho-man, but I'm a pretty built hockey player and can carry a good amount of weight) so 2.5 lbs wouldn't be a deal breaker. I like the track pad in the middle on the 14" and its a lot cheaper. I normally like bigger screens so the 17.3 is better in that prospective. I guess I just can't really decide. I'm majoring in computer science so a lot of code, but with the ppi it shouldn't matter much. I wish they had a 15.6 haha. I want the bigger screen but love the portability and sleekness of the other. + its 500$ cheaper.

lostgamer_03

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Hahaha, I did not mention anything about you being weak, mate! :D

However I do see your point. The 17.3 1080p screen will be better for web browsing, watching vidoes and doing more on the screen at the same time. You do also have to mind though, that the higher resolution will probably make you need to drop a couple of settings when gaming. It will also affect the battery life.

AS you got the 1080p monitor already you do have the access to a proper monitor, when you're hanging in your room.

Personally I would go for the 14 inch, it's just badass from my perspective having an 'almost' gaming ultrabook. BUT it's not my decision. You need the bigger screen, then get that. It is YOUR needs that matters in the end, no one else's. :)

UpgradeComp

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

Haha I know, I just didn't want weight to factor your decision between the two. I guess I'll just have to play around with some 14" laptops and some 17.3" ones, and I cannot find another computer store within 30 minutes of me who will put an SSD in (that I purchase). This guy wants to charge me between 50-80$ per hour to just stick it in.

lostgamer_03

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012

Quite likely yes. However the engineering needed for it could be quite expensive. Contact your local IT-store and see if it possible! Or even contact Razer, as it is a premium product Razer could give you a 'special' offer. I just hope you get some good years in college and solve this laptop matter soon enough, good luck! :)

Solution

UpgradeComp

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012

thank you!