Re HP pavillion DV 6700 pavillion Entertainment version

Reddwarf4ever

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
When I was first given this laptop, it kept cutting out on high temperature, I restrictd the CPU to 60% in the power options and the temperature stays around 50oC or lower and no longer shuts down on high temperature.

However I want to make a HDD backup, using Acronis true image but after some time, before it completes, the laptop shuts down, apparently on high temperature.....I assume the power options I set in windows do not apply in this instance, as true image, runs from a boot disk and NOT windows.
Is there a way of limiting the CPU % in the BIOS ? I had. Look, but can't find. Way....

If the bios is not an option, will it mean I will have to repeat the CPU ?.....never done this in a laptop before, so will be quite a challenge..

Thanks in advance for ny help

Solution
There is no BIOS option.

Have you checked if the CPU air vents are clean?

Mine were clogged up with dust and my CPU ran hot. I used compressed air to get the dust out.

Reddwarf4ever

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013

Will check as you suggest....

If not guess it's a reseat of the cup......done it on a PC before, so fingers crossed...

Reddwarf4ever

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Will try compressed air, but some people advise, this may just push the dirt and dust further into the laptop...
Can I clean things up without removing too much of the casing / components ?
Thanks