Real beginner issues - C++

MiniD011

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Hello all,

First and foremost I am completely, 100% new to programming. I am using Code::Blocks to try and learn C++ from a For Dummies (no smarmy comments please! :p) book.

I am unable to even begin learning because after installing Code::Blocks I attempt to test a most basic project (details below), however when it comes to building it I encounter the following error:

"HelloWorld - Debug" uses an invalid compiler. Probably the toolchain path within the compiler options is not setup correctly?! Skipping...
Nothing to be done.

The project is written as follows:

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
return 0;
}

Please offer some assistance, I have ensured that the directory does not have a space in the name. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Code::Blocks several times on two separate computers, one at work and one at home, both with no joy.

Any ideas? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm not familiar with Code::Blocks, but your problem is something to do with its installation. Your program is fine and should compile without problems.

If you are using Windows, make life easy for yourself and use Visual C++ Express. It's a fine development environment and it's free.

(Nothing wrong with ... For Dummies books - I used to work for the company that publishes them.)

MiniD011

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
Fantastic, I will certainly try that out now and get back to you :)

I actually bought the For Dummies book after being recommended by a friend at uni who swears by his, so I would be inclined to agree!

Thanks for the help, I will keep you posted.