Really: Facebook Testing 'Follow This User' Feature

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]nightcrawl3r[/nom]Facebook is getting insecure day by day. I am thinking of deleting my account....[/citation]
D
In fact, someone just hacked into mine a few days ago. Closed.

...and I'm sure this new 'e-stalking feature' has got the paedophiles foaming at the mouth.

smilingbounder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
You're all a bunch of bungling buffoons. This doesn't change your privacy on facebook.

It's not going to allow strangers to subscribe to you. This feature is for friends.

Read this part, since I'm sure most of you just read the headline and the first few lines of the article:

"It could be useful for people with a lot of Facebook friends as it would allow them to keep up with their close friends and family without feeling like they have to go through their entire news feed "

So really, this feature will just be a great way to sift out all the annoying people who post dumb crap on facebook, and only see what your close friends and family are saying. The people you know are going to be posting things of substance.

Again, not going to be a tool for stalkers. They will not be able to subscribe and follow people unless they're friends, just like how it is right now. If you have your profile set to "only friends", only friends are going to see your crap.

Chill out people.

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]De La NoChe[/nom]Lol... people like you are the reason they are going to be able to get away with this...[/citation]
[citation][nom]CaffeineCarl[/nom]If prioritizing people is all that important, use the hide feature. This seems to be a product of the facebook department of redundancy department.[/citation]
Using that logic, I should have gmail send all email from any address other than friends & family directly to the trash bin. Not a very good way to go about doing things.

On facebook, I have friends I talk to all the time and hang out with every week. If they post something it's very likely that I'll want to read it. On the other hand, I have other friends who I don't talk to every other day, but still enjoy talking to. Occasionally, they'll post something I want to read. If I hid them, I'd never see any of that - I wouldn't care enough to check their profiles manually. So now I have a way of keeping up with everyone without running the risk of missing one of the important messages from a friend.

[citation][nom]De La NoChe[/nom]Lol... people like you are the reason they are going to be able to get away with this...[/citation]
Get away with WHAT? You don't get to see any additional information by clicking on the button. If someone's seriously stalking you, they'd be checking your profile page out in its entirety all the time anyway. The subscribe button doesn't allow you to see anything you wouldn't be able to normally. I don't know how clearer this could possibly be.

smilingbounder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
people, seriously? can you read?

If they are NOT on your friends list, they CAN'T subscribe to you.

HOW IS THIS HARD TO UNDERSTAND? READ THE ARTICLE.

IT'S FOR FRIENDS OF FRIENDS.

PEDOPHILES/STALKERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SUBSCRIBE TO SOMEONE UNLESS THEY ARE FRIENDS WITH THEM FIRST.

READ.THE.WORDS.TRY.WITH.ALL.YOUR.BRAIN.POWER.TO.UNDER.STAND.THIS

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]CaffeineCarl[/nom]Not if you use this link: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/conta [...] te_accountYes, that is the official "kill your profile" link. I've been tempted to use it a number of times myself.[/citation]What is on the internet, stays on the internet. You data has been copied several times by now.

flyingpete

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
A form of this feature has been available for some time. You can get FB to txt you everytime certain people post. I know, my wife gets a txt message everytime I post!
I know of other people who sort of stalk people using this feature.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]People need to understand something, and understand it VERY clearly. This is the year 2010. Nothing is hidden, in fact, this is one of the toughest eras in history to lie in, and actually get away with it. People can't just run their mouths on a new program, and then sing a completely different tune a month later on another. We have videos, audio recordings and just general archiving of pretty much everything. With that said, what are you trying to hide? If you have nothing to hide, and you willingly sign up on an internet based site, this is what you should expect. If you're a KGB spy and are trying to be low key, maybe you shouldn't create an online social networking page. Other than that, you really have no privacy.[/citation]

That's a pretty odd statement to make. You can have as much privacy if you want to, if you just stay away from Facebook, Twitter, people with their camera ready at all times and other stupid but perfectly avoidable things.

Nobody needs a Facebook profile. Nobody has a social life that entirely depends on Facebook (if you do, then it's not a social life at all....). So why bother signing up to something that keeps track of every embarassing thing you do and that's a gold mine for advertisers?

atk0309

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I agree with Silmarunya , and just to build on what he/she said.
If you do not want something known about you DO NOT SHARE or share with people you trust.
I do not understand what with all the whining about FB is.
I do have an account I have a fair amount of friends BUT there is nothing that goes on there that i mind anybody seeing. This is getting ridiculous.
FB is giving you a service whether you use it or not is up to YOU.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Its really sad that so many Tom's readers have Facebook accounts. :(
Where do you find the time to read about what someone else is having for lunch, or what they are doing at home... People have become so self centered.
Facebook is as useless as...........
Well, there is nothing as useless as Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS