Realtek HD only plays in two channels.

Syok

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Yeah so this problem has got me pulling my hair out for the last couple of days. Scince this has to do with audio it will be hard to explain but i'll try my best. Basicly i got a new headset (Asus Vulcan ANC) i plug the audio cable into my audio jack on the back of my PC, Realtek HD asks me what i just connected and i pick 'headset'. I set it up for 5.1 surround sound, scince that's what i've been using on my old heatset (MSi steelseries sibiria)

Here's the thing, right: When i test the setup, NOTHING works but the left front speaker, and the right front speaker. By 'not working' i mean there's absolutly 0 sound coming out. Silent. Dead. It's not just in the app, it's everywhere. So i switch to 5.1 mode, same problem. Quadrafonic, again only front left and front right speakers are working. That means the back speakers are silent. I turn it to Stereo, and well.. Left and right front speakers (litterally the only two that's availible in stereo) are working fine. But that sucks. I want 5.1!! (It's supposed to work because it has before)

I will seriously PayPal you $50 or whatever if you manage to figure this one out.

Following is some info on my specs that might be important. Oh and let me make one thing really clear: ALL DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE.

Audio quality setting thingy: 24Bits 192000hz (studioquality)
Mainboard: MSI X99S GAMING ACK
Affected headset: Asus Vulcan ANC
Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=106jzlv&s=9#.V3-yXbiLSUk

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e1er21&s=9#.V3-ym7iLSUk

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34ytllc&s=9#.V3-y3LiLSUk

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
I cant find anything that says those are 7.1 headphones not even the manufacture site say there 7.1 headphones. 7.1 headphones don't even really exist as that would require 8 speakers. some head phones emulate 7.1 using two speakers but that requires software to do it. again I don't even see that listed for your headphones.

Syok

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

5.1 then, whatever just help me make it sound normal.

Syok

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Also explain why i can't even hear the center, sides or rear speakers? Even with a $15 Walmart headset you should be able to.

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013

you headphones have two speakers therefore they are only stereo speakers. it doesnt matter if they cost $1 or $1000 two speakers will be stereo. that is why you computer is telling you that you only have two speakers and is showing the rest as disabled. you would have to plug in four different sound jacks into your soundcard if you have 7.1 one wire for two speakers. 8 speakers would have 4 sound jacks.

you cant hear the center side or rear speakers because you do not have a center, side or rear speakers. you only have a left and right speaker.

*****Again there is software to make it sound like you have more speakers even if you only have two speakers.

Syok

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Okay this is absolute bollocks, it has worked before. I have literally used 5.1 with this headset before. Why odes it sound like shit now? Idgaf if it's real or virtual surround, just tell me what to do to make it sound normal again. Right now i can't hear voices, i can hear music and sfx (kinda) but voices are super low for some reason. Are you gonna give me another 'hurr it's because there's only two channels in your headphones' answer to that as well?

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
" I have literally used 5.1 with this headset before. Why does it sound like shit now?"

well according to you original post it didn't work before. only with your old headset was it working that way.

"Yeah so this problem has got me pulling my hair out for the last couple of days. Scince this has to do with audio it will be hard to explain but i'll try my best. Basicly i got a new headset (Asus Vulcan ANC) i plug the audio cable into my audio jack on the back of my PC, Realtek HD asks me what i just connected and i pick 'headset'. I set it up for 5.1 surround sound, scince that's what i've been using on my old heatset (MSi steelseries sibiria) "

"just tell me what to do to make it sound normal again" have you try running the device in stereo? you cant use the other three modes or you wont get all the sound.

if you actually want 7.1 headphones you need something like this. (note it actually has all the speakers in it and it has the four audio plugs needed to use all the speakers it has built into it)
http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71

Syok

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016

Yeah mate, i just bought the Corsair Void. I have this nagging feeling it's gonna be the exact same problem when it shows up. I suppose i can close this topic now, it will remain a mystery. Seriously though, For example: CS is more or less unplayable. Imagine only being able to hear stuff either to your direct left or your right. And it's not just that, the audio quality itself is wierd, kinda sounds like im underwater.