Solved! 5.1 surround plays sound on all speakers instead of separately

May 12, 2021
Hello, I have recently bough a Genius SW-HF 4800 5.1 surround sound system and I'm trying to get it to work on my Windows 10 PC. My motherboard is Asus H61M-K and it supports up to 7.1. The speakers are connected with 3 cables to the motherboard, center and subwoofer to mic (pink), front left and right to line out (green) and rear left and right to line in (blue), just like it says in the manual. The Realtek HD Audio Manager recognizes the 5.1 setting and audio ports correctly, but when I test the audio I hear sound from all speakers, except when I play center, then I hear it only from center. I have tried mixing up the cables and I get similar results (sound plays only on center and front left, center and front right, etc.), but it is at most two channels. I thought it might be a driver problem, so I installed different versions of the driver from 2013 to 2017, from my motherboard's and Realtek's website, but that did not fix the issue.

I suppose I could just buy a sound card, but since I have spend a lot of money on new speakers and since the motherboard manual says it's compatible, I want to try to get this to work. Does anyone have an idea what else might be the problem?

Last edited:
Solution
If you are playing stereo sources, it will play from left/right speakers. However that system may have a "play on all speakers" option to just play everything from all speakers all the time, surround or stereo. Read the manual.