Realtek laptop wireless chip problems? I may have a solution

Leopardson

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
SEVERAL of my friends and I have Toshiba and ASUS laptops, all with two things in common. The first is that when we got out computers, the wireless connections were sub-par, and the connections drop out/are lost on battery at random. The second is that all of our wireless chips are Realteks.

I solved these problems with my Realtek wireless card today, and sent the simple solution to my friends. The solution worked for every single one of them.

The problem:
The drivers that come default with Windows 7 with these laptops are simply bad. They are the cause of all the problems. Connections are weak, if you're on battery, it will drop in and out without warning making the network unusable.

The solution:
If you go to the Realtek Windows settings and say "Update driver", Windows will tell you the drivers are up to date. Windows is wrong.
1. Go to the Realtek Website, go to the downloads section, select your chip (You can find out what chip you have by going to Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Right click on your wireless connection and click Properties.), and download the drivers for your OS. They are the real drivers. Install them, restart your computer.
2. For a better signal connection, once you have the drivers installed, go to Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings --> Right click properties of Wireless Connection --> Configure --> Advanced --> Roaming Sensitivity Level --> High

I hope this helps people. It certainly helped me and it certainly helped my friends.

AliBuster

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
My problem:
Connections will drop in and out without warning making the network unusable.

My 2nd problem:
When Windows told me the drivers were up to date, I believed them.

Solution:
I have downloaded the new drivers and I'm hoping I'm sailing across happy connectivity seas from now on! I'll let you know if it doesn't work! Thanks for your information.

plantmatter

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for posing that. i checked realtek site and found a driver that matched and loaded it. The improvement was great! It was like it activated the second antenna on my device. solid connection now. before it was dropping off. Thank you!