Receiver loses signal when changing inputs

Deuteronomy_23-1

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a yamaha rx-v465 which i have just hooked up to my samsung PS50C7000

I have hooked up my foxtel box (Cable box), blu ray player and my htpc to its inputs, with an out going to my tv.

i am having an issue where when i change from say hdmi 2 to hdmi 3 on my box, it will not display picture/or sound about 50% of the time, and i have to flick back and forth or wait until it finds a signal.

the odd thing is, when i was plugging it all in and testing it on a table before i placed it into my tv stand, everything would work fine, no matter how i changed inputs, whether the receiver had been turned off and on again etc. but as soon as it went in the cabinet it started having this issue, i pulled it out again and same thing it all worked, placed it back in and it didnt so i am kind of stuck.

my assumption was some kind of interference with all the cables, but i am a complete noob with this stuff so wanted some help.

I have also read about hdmi handshake issues and are not sure if they apply here

your help is appreciated.

Solution
some of the issue is "handshaking"... not so much that handshaking is an issue but the fact that it has to be done. IF there are "marginal" issues with bit errors / erros in the system, then those "handshakes" may not be successful at some points and have to be started from "scratch" which could be what you are seeing. Although you indicate "no signal" symptoms, I suspect you mean no video as most likely the audio continues. Which likely means that the video has been "blanked" til the handshake has been successful.

Anyways, check your cable connections especially how things "hang" as some hdmi cables can be heavy and pull down on the connectors of equipment making the connectivity at those points marginal. When you test on a...

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
some of the issue is "handshaking"... not so much that handshaking is an issue but the fact that it has to be done. IF there are "marginal" issues with bit errors / erros in the system, then those "handshakes" may not be successful at some points and have to be started from "scratch" which could be what you are seeing. Although you indicate "no signal" symptoms, I suspect you mean no video as most likely the audio continues. Which likely means that the video has been "blanked" til the handshake has been successful.

Anyways, check your cable connections especially how things "hang" as some hdmi cables can be heavy and pull down on the connectors of equipment making the connectivity at those points marginal. When you test on a "bench top", it is quite likely your cabling is resting on surfaces with little / no weight on connection. In a cabinet, routing / strain relief becomes an important issue. Check the hdmi connectors / receiver, when plugging in, they should be more "tight" and "wiggly".

In addition, perhaps you have some heating / air flow issues in your cabinet design / layout that causes the rcvr to run warmer than when its in "free air".

Solution

Deuteronomy_23-1

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

I actually do mean that both audio and video do not come through, its basically all or nothing in that case.

You may be right on the strain, because the cabinet where it sits is fairly cramped and i did have to kind of force some hdmi cables through the hole and around the cabinet connecting to the other devices, it was also happening from when i turned it on first (so does that rule out the heat/airflow issue?). i will try and play around with it again to see if i can reduce the cable strain.

just in addition, do HDMI cables (or power cables maybe) ever interfere with each other as i would be curious to know anyway just for future reference if this would ever be an issue in any other types of setups as i assume i will do more during my lifetime.

ill give it a go when i have my next opportunity to and get back to you, thanks.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
all cabling can have "interfering relationships". However, the signalling used in the hdmi spec is design to mitigate these. Remember the actual cables are made up of number of small "cables" so they would be an issue on themselves if the design wasn't "robust".

Based on your additional information, I would suspect a poor connector as the hdmi connector(s) is very small versus the number of individual wire contacts so any slight "misalignment" may cause issues. I have a "complex system" with two hdmi switches "daisy chained" along with basically third in the denon receiver. The system works 99% of the time without issues but out of the blue, the "end daisy" will lose signal from the "previous daisy" (a long run in between). I usually have to reseat the cable at the "previous daisy" and some time reset that switch point. I know some of my cabling is suspect both at the connector but also the length (pushing 30 feet on the one leg).

Deuteronomy_23-1

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016

Was connector meant to be connection? if not is it the hdmi connectors in the receiver itself that is faulty or the cables im using?

thanks

Deuteronomy_23-1

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Problem seems to be solved, i wanted to leave it a few days until i got back to you just to see if any heating issues arose etc, and all seems to be good.

thank you very much for your help mate :)