Receiver/TV Connection Confusion

Deb719

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
Please excuse my ignorance - I hope I can ask this clearly.- I am getting a new TV and receiver and cannot find answers in the manuals to either. My current (7-year-old) setup is - I have my cable box and bluray connected to my receiver via HDMI and then my TV connected to the receiver via HDMI. This allows me to bypass the TV Sound and enjoy the 5.1 sound that is supported by my cable and by bluray.
I am getting a LG 55UF7600 TV and a Denon AVR S710W receiver. The Denon manual says to connect to the TV using the HDMI ARC port. From all I can find on the internet - this will only give me the TV Sound through the receiver. I DO NOT want the TV sound through the receiver. I want the 5.1 sound supported by my cable box and my blu ray. I cannot find anything in the online TV manual about how to bypass TV sound and hear sound from other sources. I can get the "smart" functions through the blu ray so I don't need them from the TV - which would be the only reason to use the ARC connection. I cannot believe that 7 year newer equipment will not be able to do what my current equipment can so I clearly am not understanding something. I would greatly appreciate any information that will help me to understand how to accomplish what I want to do. Thank you.

Solution

You'll need to set the HDMI Control to OFF and ARC to OFF (pg 158 in the manual indicates how).

You do not need to set the LG ARC to off when ARC is disabled on the receiver.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

From the AVR S710W quick start guide:

ARC (Audio Return Channel) :
If your TV supports ARC, your TV can send audio back to the AV receiver when you are using your TV’s built-in video sources (TV tuner, Smart TV streaming services, etc…) ARC requires that you enable HDMI CEC on your TV. Please refer to your TV’s Owner’s Manual for instructions on how to setup HDMI CEC. Note that some TV manufacturers use other names for the HDMI CEC function.

When you use the cable set top box, you are not using the TV's built-in tuner or smart functions. So you will only hear the sound from the source you select on the receiver. You will not hear the ARC unless you choose it.

Deb719

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
That makes sense. The Denon manual (Under connecting a TV) says: "Use an HDMI cable to connect a TV that is compatible with the ARC function to this unit.
Set “HDMI Control” to “On” when using a TV that supports the ARC function". Can I NOT set the ARC function to on? Also - I cannot find out out to tell the LG that I am not using its sound. Do I need to? Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge and if these questions are stupid.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

You'll need to set the HDMI Control to OFF and ARC to OFF (pg 158 in the manual indicates how).

You do not need to set the LG ARC to off when ARC is disabled on the receiver.

Solution