Recently purchased a Samsung QX411-W01us

CameronB92

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
So I came across this great deal on Ebay, a lightly used, like new Samsung Qx411-W01us for 300 dollars. Considering this laptop is only 2 years old and retailed for 900 at release, and still going for prices near the 800 mark, I was pretty happy when I found it.

While I await on it in the mail, I have been looking over the hardware in it and I must say, I don't think you could find a laptop with this hardware for such a low price at any retail store for the next couple of years.

It boasts a rather large albeit slow(5400 RPM) 750 gig HDD,

6 gigs of dual channel DDR3 RAM, (slightly disappointing that it comes in a 4 gig and 2 gig DIMM but oh well)

2nd gen i5 2410m CPU 2.4ghz

Nvidia Geforce GT 520m

All in all, prettty solid configuration! (the Samsung website markets this model with having a GT 525M, highly upsetting that it actually isn't a 525)

Laptop Link!

But overall, a 520 is ok for me, mostly going to be doing MMO stuff and playing some older PC titles( orginal XCOM anybody?)

But here is where my question comes to play, the GT 520 M comes in two different configurations: one with a 64 bit memory interface, and the other with a 128 bit interface.

Obvious the 128 bit Memory Bus is a substantial performance increase versus the 64 bit. But, from all my research, I cannot for the life of me figure out which one my laptop will come with.

Could anybody help me out here? Maybe the 64 bit Memory bus is the manufacturers standard when it comes to this particular card. But I'm hoping I get the 128 bit, man am I hoping. :)

Phillip Corcoran

Splendid
From what I can gather, the two configurations are actually on the same product, but which configuration actually applies depends on whether or not the laptop's system RAM is dual channelled

If system RAM is dual channelled the 520M memory operates at 128-bit

If not dual channelled, the 520M operates at 64-bit.

CameronB92

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Interesting news! I thank you for bringing it to light. My system RAM is indeed dual channeled, I'm getting the laptop tomorrow so I'll update when I check it out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AG95 Laptop Tech Support 5
Devalishious Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
C Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1
F Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1