Solved! Recording of live TV shows buffering

chrispcritter

Prominent
Sep 12, 2019
Please bare with me,, I'm not good at this. We have a Sony Bravia TV (circa 2012?). We have attached an indoor TV antenna to a HDHomeRun Quatro. That is attached to a Western Digital PR4100 NAS. I have been transferring our DVDs and Blu Rays to the NAS with fairly good success. All files play great on all TVs in the house. However, the live TV shows we have been recording from the antenna to the NAS are a problem. The shows record fine, but the play-back is horrible. It will play for less than 30 seconds, then buffer, play again for a short period, then buffer. They are impossible to watch. I suspect there is a setting somewhere in the NAS to remedy this, but I'm reluctant to take the strategy of "just start hitting buttons until it works". Can anyone help?

Solution
There's the rub (and evidence of my ignorance), I have no idea where the setting would be. Of course, I found "setting" on PLEX Media Server, but some of the language is Greek to me.

If you right-click on one of the files you should be able to go into the details of it and see the file format, encoding type, bitrate, etc...

On a normal network, you should be able to play 1080 MP4 files without any lag. MKV blueray files that are high bitrate may have issues. I know on my wireless I can't really use MKV, need to encode them into a lower bitrate file.

chrispcritter

Prominent
Sep 12, 2019
There's the rub (and evidence of my ignorance), I have no idea where the setting would be. Of course, I found "setting" on PLEX Media Server, but some of the language is Greek to me.

If you right-click on one of the files you should be able to go into the details of it and see the file format, encoding type, bitrate, etc...

On a normal network, you should be able to play 1080 MP4 files without any lag. MKV blueray files that are high bitrate may have issues. I know on my wireless I can't really use MKV, need to encode them into a lower bitrate file.

Solution