Red Bull Skydiving Mission from Edge of Space a Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I caught the live feed just as they were nearing the zenith of the flight. The craft was a bit higher than planned because Felix had problems getting the door to open. He had some problems spinning on the way down (couldn't control flight well due to the thin air) but straightened out and became stable. He had some problems with his visor fogging and seemed to have problems with radio communications which probably eroded his confidence a bit, leading him to deploy his parachute early and missing the freefall time record. He stated in an interview that he has to fight the urge to deploy the chute early.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
THG news now officially slower than the print media :)

Oh well, I still stop by every morning for my geek news. Keep up the overall good work guys!

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]stuartl[/nom]Outer space "starts" at 327,360' he was nowhere close to the edge of space.[/citation]
In all fairness, he ran out of sky to climb in.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]I'm pretty sure we're all well informed of what happened yesterday, tom's.[/citation]
Really, I mean, this thing was ALL OVER the internet, yet it took Tom's more than 24 hours to post about it.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]stuartl[/nom]Outer space "starts" at 327,360' he was nowhere close to the edge of space.[/citation]

The air pressure was 0.07 psi or something like it, nearly nothing. He can see the curvature of the earth, etc.

I'd call that close to space :p

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
at what does this prove?...absolutely nothing....just imagine the profit they are making off these overpriced energy drinks if they can afford to waste such a large amount of money

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]at what does this prove?...absolutely nothing....just imagine the profit they are making off these overpriced energy drinks if they can afford to waste such a large amount of money[/citation]
Go stand in the naughty corner for trolling.

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
To me it seems like a company who's motto is "redbull gives you wings" shouldn't have people breaking the sound barrier by falling.

G

ofcourse its possible everyone with brains knew that already, this was just a marketing stunt nothing else. NASA did this in the 60s, if there was anything left to discover of scientific interest by going a tiny bit higher and faster then they would have done it already.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I dont see why there was so much hype about this. Its sometihng interesting, no doubt, but there are far more amzing things going on that we almost never hear about in the world of science.

Oh the other side, the guy got some balls. If i was up there id probalbly go "F--- this, get me back on earth".

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Really, I mean, this thing was ALL OVER the internet, yet it took Tom's more than 24 hours to post about it.[/citation]

Seriously people, are you waiting for live feed? If you want live cover switch on your TV, or Google it or something. Tom's Hardware is a "newspaper", some news will pop up AFTER they happen, not WHILE they are happening.

Get over it!

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Outer space "starts" at 327,360' he was nowhere close to the edge of space
Actually, since earths atmosphere begins at that supposed altitude it technically means space ends there. Therefor it technically is still a edge of space

Status
Not open for further replies.