Reduce Gas Consumption by 20% With a Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Just what we need. "Stop Light Ahead" "Speed up to 55 MPH" "Recalculating" "Turn right in 20 feet" - screeeeech..... crashes into stoplight attempting to do a right turn at 55mph.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Or you could just pay attention to driving and save the gas yourself. I'll go out on a limb and say forbidding cell phone use in cars would improve gas mileage by 20% just because people would actually pay attention to what they are doing then.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Just what we need. "Stop Light Ahead" "Speed up to 55 MPH" "Recalculating" "Turn right in 20 feet" - screeeeech..... crashes into stoplight attempting to do a right turn at 55mph.
Made my day thanks :) lol

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
So they don't want you to text and drive, but it's ok to stare at it when approaching an intersection to anticipate the light changing?

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
What if instead of getting people's phones to anticipate lights changing, we'd get the lights system up to date and better anticipate traffic?

Around my place, they still use underground magnetic sensors to detect cars. It's not unusual to see a light stop 50+ cars for 1 to turn. And then once those 50+ cars have gone by after their red light there's no traffic for 2 minutes...

F*** "smart" phones, get busy with making the rest "smart".

G

How about an App that tells old people that its ok to drive the speed limit and not 15 below. That would save me from having to come up behind them and ruin my milage by having to go around them.......

P.S.
Just realized the vast majority old people dont have smart phones..... we're doomed.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
i think some of you guys got it wrong. the software trys to preditct green lights while navigating, helping you avoid red lights altogether. sounds like a good idea unless i'm that one who got it wrong.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Don't worry. When the government starts to understand that people are timing lights for better efficiency, they'll make those lights totally random.

sreams

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think the problem with this is that people will speed to catch lights. They won't. There is no way this software will encourage doing anything other than driving below the speed limit. The real problems come when you have people in a 40mph zone going 11.9mph (like in the picture) because their phone tells them to. Driving at seemingly random speeds with no regard for the flow of traffic in order to never hit a red light will cost more in accidents than it ever saves in fuel.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sreams[/nom]The real problems come when you have people in a 40mph zone going 11.9mph (like in the picture) because their phone tells them to.[/citation]

The car in the picture is coming up to a red light. If this guy goes 40mph until the bitter end and slam on the brakes right on front of the light, he's going to get a dirty look from that guy crossing the street at best.

G

Could it read Numbers? We have counter on the red light in Taiwan......

sreams

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Sure... trouble is, the only way this thing is effective is if it suggests driving at a speed other than the speed limit. Otherwise, what would be the point? If the system figures that you must drive either 75mph or 10mph to hit the next green light, and that driving the speed limit of 40mph will place you squarely in the middle of a red light, what is it going to suggest?

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]reduce gas by 100%, use EV -.-[/citation]
And with all the Marxist tree huggers the Obama regime has put in the EPA and the EPA working on shutting down coal plants and others they don't like, what are you going to charge your freaking electric car with. Oh thats right fairy dust and hemp.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
A lot of Asian countries, have timers built into the red light signal that counts down from 9 to 0. Very easy to tell when it will be turning green. I Know I've seen this in China and Taiwan personally; and I seem to recall the same thing in Europe, although I could be mistaken on that. VERY simple way to 'predict' light changes with little change to the existing infrastructure.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
the problem with this is that now you'll have idiots on the road cruising at 10mph towards a light to avoid stopping... thats just going to cause traffic jamming.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Just what we need. "Stop Light Ahead" "Speed up to 55 MPH" "Recalculating" "Turn right in 20 feet" - screeeeech..... crashes into stoplight attempting to do a right turn at 55mph.[/citation]

LMAO no kidding!!

Status
Not open for further replies.