Reminders are not reminding

markmc

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
5
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

My iPAQ 1945 has been a reliable little partner until
last week. It now refuses to remind me of appointments!
I've missed a number of meetings because it silently
checks outlook appointments as "reminded".

If you were here, I could set an appointment for ten
minutes out, ask for a reminder five minutes before the
event. You would see the bell icon on the daily view.
Five minutes later, the bell icon would be gone and we
would have seen and heard nothing else: no dialog and the
LED doesn't flash green.

I have made sure the speaker is on and the notifications
settings are correct. I even pushed the dreaded soft
reset button.

At this point, I don't really care if it is a bug in the
reminder software. (I've seen the statements about it
being very unreliable.) All I want is a process to get
it to do its job so we can live in harmony once again.
(And I won't get fired for missing any more meetings!)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> I even pushed the dreaded soft reset button. <<

fwiw, you should never be reluctant to do so... imho, it should be done
at least once a day... for example every time you remove it from the
charger.

>> no alarms <<

no concrete ideas, but do you have anything else on the device that
references calendar data or generates it's own alarms that might be
conflicting such as another pim or clock?

post what you see in start/system/memory/runningprograms _immediately
after you execute a soft reset_ and then immediately try your reminder test.

just for grins, change the wav file that's doing the notification and
confirm that it is audible when it is activated under the "test"

barring that, you may be faced with the dreaded "hard reset" but be sure
to sync and backup before you do so... suggest backing up to both memory
card and using activesync
 

markmc

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
5
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

No programs are listed right after a soft reset. The
only alarm related program I use besides the microsoft
suff is Jonathan Sachs StopTime 1.0.

I doubt it is a wav problem because I don't even see the
reminder dialog.

I'll get ready for a hard reset. I'll wait a while to
see if someone has another idea.

Thanks for your time, Beverly.
 

markmc

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
5
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Well, after hard resetting my device and spending a good
hour setting my iPAQ up with all the software and
settings it had this morning, it appears to be reminding
me again.

If this is a defect in Microsoft's software, I hope
someone is working on it. This is a real pain ...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"MarkMc" <markmc@hp.com> wrote in message
news:2bcee01c468ed$3b0074c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> My iPAQ 1945 has been a reliable little partner until
> last week. It now refuses to remind me of appointments!
> I've missed a number of meetings because it silently
> checks outlook appointments as "reminded".
>
> If you were here, I could set an appointment for ten
> minutes out, ask for a reminder five minutes before the
> event. You would see the bell icon on the daily view.
> Five minutes later, the bell icon would be gone and we
> would have seen and heard nothing else: no dialog and the
> LED doesn't flash green.
>
> I have made sure the speaker is on and the notifications
> settings are correct. I even pushed the dreaded soft
> reset button.
>
> At this point, I don't really care if it is a bug in the
> reminder software. (I've seen the statements about it
> being very unreliable.) All I want is a process to get
> it to do its job so we can live in harmony once again.
> (And I won't get fired for missing any more meetings!)


there's a bug in the later OS causing alarm problems, you've been lucky to
get away with it this long. There have been posts pointing to some solutions
lately if you check the archives.
I think one was at scareybearsoftware if I recall correctly.
 

markmc

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
5
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I stumbled across the scary bear software tool and have
it loaded. It is not helping me. It did show a number
of duplicated alarms but didn't fix the problem. All of
the events are marked "InActive".
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cd1797$g1t$3@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "MarkMc" <markmc@hp.com> wrote in message
> news:2bcee01c468ed$3b0074c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> > My iPAQ 1945 has been a reliable little partner until
> > last week. It now refuses to remind me of appointments!
> > I've missed a number of meetings because it silently
> > checks outlook appointments as "reminded".
> >
> > If you were here, I could set an appointment for ten
> > minutes out, ask for a reminder five minutes before the
> > event. You would see the bell icon on the daily view.
> > Five minutes later, the bell icon would be gone and we
> > would have seen and heard nothing else: no dialog and the
> > LED doesn't flash green.
> >
> > I have made sure the speaker is on and the notifications
> > settings are correct. I even pushed the dreaded soft
> > reset button.
> >
> > At this point, I don't really care if it is a bug in the
> > reminder software. (I've seen the statements about it
> > being very unreliable.) All I want is a process to get
> > it to do its job so we can live in harmony once again.
> > (And I won't get fired for missing any more meetings!)
>
>
> there's a bug in the later OS causing alarm problems, you've been lucky to
> get away with it this long. There have been posts pointing to some
solutions
> lately if you check the archives.
> I think one was at scareybearsoftware if I recall correctly.
>
>

Not the alarm one, but ....
http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"MarkMc" <markmc@hp.com> wrote in news:2b90901c46917$a22d0440
$a601280a@phx.gbl:

> Well, after hard resetting my device and spending a good
> hour setting my iPAQ up with all the software and
> settings it had this morning, it appears to be reminding
> me again.
>
> If this is a defect in Microsoft's software, I hope
> someone is working on it. This is a real pain ...
>


Try searching for "Wakeup Tweak"

Scott
 

markmc

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
5
0
18,510
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

THAT was the best suggestion I've had to date! Thank you
so much for suggesting it. Next time this happens, I
will use this tool first!

mark
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"MarkMc" <markmc@hp.com> wrote in news:2c07b01c4691c$95438f10
$a501280a@phx.gbl:

> THAT was the best suggestion I've had to date! Thank you
> so much for suggesting it. Next time this happens, I
> will use this tool first!
>
> mark

No prob. The idea is you install and run it, and hopefully the problem
won't come up again.

Scott
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cd17pp$dv2$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:cd1797$g1t$3@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> >
> > "MarkMc" <markmc@hp.com> wrote in message
> > news:2bcee01c468ed$3b0074c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> > > My iPAQ 1945 has been a reliable little partner until
> > > last week. It now refuses to remind me of appointments!
> > > I've missed a number of meetings because it silently
> > > checks outlook appointments as "reminded".
> > >
> > > If you were here, I could set an appointment for ten
> > > minutes out, ask for a reminder five minutes before the
> > > event. You would see the bell icon on the daily view.
> > > Five minutes later, the bell icon would be gone and we
> > > would have seen and heard nothing else: no dialog and the
> > > LED doesn't flash green.
> > >
> > > I have made sure the speaker is on and the notifications
> > > settings are correct. I even pushed the dreaded soft
> > > reset button.
> > >
> > > At this point, I don't really care if it is a bug in the
> > > reminder software. (I've seen the statements about it
> > > being very unreliable.) All I want is a process to get
> > > it to do its job so we can live in harmony once again.
> > > (And I won't get fired for missing any more meetings!)
> >
> >
> > there's a bug in the later OS causing alarm problems, you've been lucky
to
> > get away with it this long. There have been posts pointing to some
> solutions
> > lately if you check the archives.
> > I think one was at scareybearsoftware if I recall correctly.
> >
> >
>
> Not the alarm one, but ....
> http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html
>
>

I think I've found it- try wakeup tweak at www.burroak.on.ca
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

With me it turned out to be power alert which installs with battery
pack/program bar removing it sorted the problem.



In message <Xns9525A7F7F5D84scottseidmanmindspri@130.133.1.4>, Scott Seidman
<namdiesttocs@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "MarkMc" <markmc@hp.com> wrote in news:2b90901c46917$a22d0440
> $a601280a@phx.gbl:
>
> > Well, after hard resetting my device and spending a good
> > hour setting my iPAQ up with all the software and
> > settings it had this morning, it appears to be reminding
> > me again.
> >
> > If this is a defect in Microsoft's software, I hope
> > someone is working on it. This is a real pain ...
> >
>
>
> Try searching for "Wakeup Tweak"
>
> Scott
--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Windows Phone 1
G Windows Phone 6
M Windows Phone 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY