Remote Control Software For A Single Application Window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Most remote control software lets you control the entire computer over a network. I was simply looking for a program that would let me visually see and control a single application Window.

The computer I want unattended is basically a HTPC, and it would stream my shows and stuff to a monitor that serves its purpose to replace a TV. I have a program that can start a download for a 1 hour program, send part of that video to WMP, and then the program would continue background downloading that one show, while WMP played it. The thing is, I have to double-click the next show in the list to continue playback of the next hour.

I want a way to do this without actually interacting directly with the HTPC at all. One idea I had was having an automatic mouse-click script that goes off every hour, which might work. The 2nd option was what I mentioned above with the remote control to only that app.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
Assuming this is a Windows PC, then no, there is no remote control software that can be limited to just one application.

However, on Linux and other Unix-like OSs you can have multiple desktop sessions at once, and if you run a single app in one session you would have full control over it without affecting other running apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.