Removing Cryptowall ransomeware

Solution
Well, ya might be in a pickle if ya know what I mean. So basically the problem is that if you remove the ransomware, then along goes your encrypted files also. So I hope you backed up your stuff. If you did not back it up, then your in a losing battle because you could pay the ransom and that is not 100% that you will get files back or just cut your losses with your files. Now if you backed up your stuff, then just go ahead and remove it with Malwarebytes or some other security software running a scan. If that doesn't work, then you got to find the file location of the ransomware and remove it manually.

Nerdy Nerd

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Well, ya might be in a pickle if ya know what I mean. So basically the problem is that if you remove the ransomware, then along goes your encrypted files also. So I hope you backed up your stuff. If you did not back it up, then your in a losing battle because you could pay the ransom and that is not 100% that you will get files back or just cut your losses with your files. Now if you backed up your stuff, then just go ahead and remove it with Malwarebytes or some other security software running a scan. If that doesn't work, then you got to find the file location of the ransomware and remove it manually.

Solution

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

Run these tools on full system scan not quick scan:

Malwarebytes Anti Malware

HitmanPro

Kaspersky TDSSKiller

ESET Online Scanner

Norton Power Eraser

richardt119

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
I am with Mdd on this one. Removal is always the least of your problems. Recovery.... well, there are a couple of options you could try.

1. System restore point (To reset your system back to your previous state before infection, provided that you have such restore point)
2. Shadow copies of the files. You could try using Shadow explorer to recover your files manually, that will take quite some time to get through as the process is VERY manual.

Also, there is no decryptor for this malware, at least none that is useful or could in any way help you. Lesson learned for next time, time to back up the files!

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

I wouldn't do the 1st step if the ransomware manage to run on your PC, because ransomware can infect System Restore Point as well like malware and virus can.

Your best choice is remove the ransomware first, and then plug in your backup drive to recover your files. If you don't have the backup solution, just purchase a small 128GB SSD for backup and download AOMEI Free Backupper.

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
Well, of course, If the malware is sophisticated enough. It will try sabotaging your restore point, but in many cases, its worth a try, because no matter how you look at it, your files are encrypted, and you can try something. It won't do any more damage than it already has done. Addition to that, the person is asking for potential ways of solutions. Unfortunately, these are his only options.

mdd1963

Distinguished
MERGED QUESTION
Question from richardt119 : "Cryptowall ransomeware removal"

Windows Defender full scan, or
Malwarebytes Antimalware full scan

Removing the ransomware is usually easy...

Getting back your files is another matter entirely unless you have backups...

PeterKendrick

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Sophos has a detailed article on Cryptowall, you can read about it here:
https://news.sophos.com/en-us/2015/12/17/the-current-state-of-ransomware-cryptowall/

However, the article states, "Sadly, there’s not much you can do to get your files back yourself as the encryption is often too strong to crack, so it’s your decision about whether or not you want to pay to retrieve them."

JoshRoss

Estimable
Jul 11, 2017
First of all, anyone who claims they can decrypt Cryptowall is straight up liar or made the malware. Which in both cases it would be bad to give them any of your money. I wouldn't go to such desperate measures. Accept that the files are gone and attempt to move on.

SumTingW0ng

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017

If the malware coder make the program bad than security experts can easily decrypt it. For instance, Emsisoft Security managed to decrypt multiple ransomware variants, https://decrypter.emsisoft.com/

rgd1101

Don't

This too
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-3441492/decryptor-encryptile-ransomware-free-decryption-tools-variants.html