Rent an Apple Watch For $45 a Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I totally agree with John, I wanted to get this watch but can't justify it when it costs the same as my Citizen that has lasted me 10+ years. I'm worried I will buy it and then next year they will release Apple Watch 2 and mine will suddenly look dated and cheap.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Floss for a day,impress the onlookers with your expensive flashy watch for that hot night at the club!

Paraphrasing the target market for this service, also though isn't this device supposed to be able to check your blood sugar levels? Meaning that somewhere along the line it is puncturing your skin? So how does this rental system work with hygiene?

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

So true - good comment. I have owned iPhones from the beginning (and am a PC guy mind you) and have defended my purchase and use of the phablet 6+ - I do love this phone - but sweet Jesus! What the hell was Apple thinking with this watch?

It's ugly, must be constantly recharged, and is basically useless other than a fitness band. This is a no go for me since I already shelled out hundreds on a phone. I don't need to look like a complete dick (I look like a partial one now with the 6+) by talking into my wrist or playing with it. Useless, useless tech from Apply and way too costly.

I will stick with my fitness band that I use only when I work out. End of rant.

spdragoo

Distinguished
Herald
Oct 17, 2011
Hmmm...so after 8 days you've paid more in rent than if you just bought it outright. Not even automobile leasing is that horribly overpriced. Even at $15/day, you'll still hit the purchase threshold by day 24.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
@spdragoo - I agree! I believe if you feel like continuing with the watch after your second day with it you should stop renting it and buy it!

@koss64 the Apple Watch (current version at least) has a heart rate monitor, not a blood sugar sensor.. Future versions may carry some kind of blood oxidation sensor, which will not puncture your skin.

Agree with everyone that thinks it's too expensive! I definitely want a smartwatch but the Apple Watch is too pricey. I do love its apps though, it does seem to make being lazy a lot easier.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Hmmm...so after 8 days you've paid more in rent than if you just bought it outright. Not even automobile leasing is that horribly overpriced. Even at $15/day, you'll still hit the purchase threshold by day 24.
I suspect thats the whole point of the "rent" thing.
People choke when they see the $350 entry price. but at $45 (a day) ... thats easier to digest.

Same goes for phones on contract... low initial price to get it in your hands + a recurring monthly fee. vs a 1 time large cost to get the phone outright.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
Interesting times.

When samsung had the Note 1
Apple said "Hell no"

When samsung released the watch
Apple said "hell no"

But when apple copies. Its hell yes!

So whos leading who now ?

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I have absolutely no use for a watch like this, but if I was selling a watch that could cost upwards of $10,000, I would make sure that the guts of the watch were upgrade-able, thereby fending off the "obsoleteness" factor. If Apple was smart, this is what they will do, we'll see.

tikal

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
45 USD per day to rent a lousy watch? Who are they kidding? in 8 days you can buy the damn thing. The rent is so high that I doubt it will attract people.

Status
Not open for further replies.