Solved! Repair 2.1 speaker set

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi guys, I have decided to try fix my logitech Z-2300 2.1 stereo set. So here is the problem:

On this picture:

https://imgur.com/a/toTWe9Y
you can see the left and right female rca connector. several years ago, I accidently kicked against the cable of the right speaker and unfortunately, the pin broke off and was stuck inside the socket of the right speaker. It took me a while to remove it. I even removed the entire backplate of the subwoofer to check the other side. Eventually I did manage to remove the pin, but I can't remember how I did it. But, the connector never worked again after that. So I probably destroyed something in the process of removing the pin.

Here are 2 pictures of how it looks like on the inside:
https://imgur.com/a/sUrMTfQ
https://imgur.com/a/sbyMsis

It looks like it consists of the female connector, which is attached to that small pcb to which the 4 cables are attached to. I am not sure what could be the issue, because everything is covered in this thick layer of what seems to be glue/insulation material? I am not sure what exactly it is. As you may see on the image, I already tried to remove it a bit, but I am afraid that I will damage the electronics even more.

Is there a good way to remove that stuff more easily so I can get a better look?

One other solution would be to just cut off the entire thing, buy new parts and then re-attach the wires. Hopefully the wires will be long enough to do this. I can easily find female RCA sockets out there, but not sure what that pcb is doing there. Or how I can replace that. Sorry if these are silly questions, but I have no experience with repairing audio, other than replacing 3.5 mm plugs.

Could anyone with experience tell me the best way to try and fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
That goop is called potting material and it basically makes things difficult and it's hard to remove.

I think what most likely happened is when you knocked it you broke a conductor between the female RCA plug and the board.

Good chance this is all covered in potting material.

What I would do is try to remove the potting material so I could visually see where it's broke.

It MAY be able to be repaired right there with a little solder.

OR

You may have to go with the new RCA jacks.

This is all dependent on what you see once you get the potting material away.
That goop is called potting material and it basically makes things difficult and it's hard to remove.

I think what most likely happened is when you knocked it you broke a conductor between the female RCA plug and the board.

Good chance this is all covered in potting material.

What I would do is try to remove the potting material so I could visually see where it's broke.

It MAY be able to be repaired right there with a little solder.

OR

You may have to go with the new RCA jacks.

This is all dependent on what you see once you get the potting material away.

Solution

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. What would be the best way to get rid of it, other than a sharp tool such as a knife?

Exacto. Don't cut yourself.

Notice the PCB seems to have 2 resistors (other components can't be seen on pic?), so if you are going to go without PCB, must somehow solder these resistors on the jack itself.

Got your soldering skills, shouldn't be that hard.

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

Thanks! Yeah it doesn't seem very difficult to fix, other than getting that stuff out of the way. That's the hardest bit I guess. Assuming I can remove that potting material, and I can find & fix the issue, should I apply new potting material? Or will I be fine if I leave it?

Well that potting material seems to be holding the PCB to the case, I don't see any screws, although there maybe plastic clips under once you remove the potting material. If it's feels rock-hard even an exacto can't penetrate, a hot air gun may help softening it.

Blasqen

Honorable
Sep 2, 2015

The PCB and the sockets are not attached to the back of the subwoofer. Even though it looks like it in the picture, but it's not the case. I need to secure the sockets from the outside using a screw.