Repair iPad Pro or purchase 2018 New iPad?

May 29, 2018
Hello,

several weeks ago I tried to download and install Software update 11.3 to my iPad Pro 12.9 inches (first Generation iPad Pro) but I encountered several problems and was not able to update. I tried many times and received different error messages at a different stage of the process: error 14, then 4005, 4013, or 4014.

Several months ago I encountered the same errors during the previous Software update but then, somehow after many tries, I succeeded to update my device. This time since nothing could help so I brought my iPad to the Apple store from where I purchased the device.

They sent the device to the lab and after several days I received an answer: the memory has to be replaced and the cost of the repair is $350 and I get 3 months warranty on the repair. I almost agreed to repair the Pro but now I am thinking of another option.

After two years and a half of using my iPad Pro, I found that never really needed the so-called extra power of the Pro and I still prefer the handling of my old small 9.7 inches second-generation iPad. The price of a 9.7 inches 2018 New iPad is $550, so for $200 more than the price of the repair of my two and a half-year-old Pro I get a brand new iPad with which I can do all that I need. As far as I understand, the 2018 New iPad has a better processor than the iPad Pro first generation but on the other hand, has only 2GB RAM (4GB for iPad Pro)

Any recommendation? Would adding $200 for a 2018 New iPad instead of paying $350 for the repair of the Pro first generation, be a downgrade?
Thank you very much.

Solution
If you don't care about the larger screen, I'd get a new gen standard iPad, or even an older used one for much less. I think anything Gen 4 and newer is still good. We have two gen 3 and a gen 4 at our house, none of them ever feel slow.
May 29, 2018
I do not care about the larger screen. In fact, right after I purchased the iPad Pro 12.9 inches, I did enjoy the larger screen but I very much missed the more comfortable handling of my previous iPad, a 9.7 third-generation iPad.