Solved! Repair my old phone or buy a new one?

Feb 12, 2019
Yesterday I accidently dropped my Nexus 6 and shattered its screen. Is it worth it to repair it for around 120 USD or buy a new more up to date phone?

Also what phone i should buy if it is not worth repairing my old one?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
What would it cost on e-Bay to buy an identical phone being sold by someone who's moved on to a more up-todate model?

My phone's power jack is broken so I bought another one, same make and model, which is just used to charge a battery and as an extra backup. I also get a free spare battery so there's no chance of running out of power.

Just my £0.02 but worth considering.
If it is worth repairing or not is completely up to you. We can't tell you if you should or shouldn't.

I can, however, say that since your phone should be able to upgrade to (if it hasn't been already) at least version 7 of Android, that most things should run fine on that device.

Also, repairing that one, if that is the total cost, would be way cheaper than purchasing a new device.

In the end, it is really up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: DDgg
Feb 12, 2019
If it is worth repairing or not is completely up to you. We can't tell you if you should or shouldn't.

I can, however, say that sine your phone should be able to upgrade to (if it hasn't been already) at least version 7 of Android, that most things should run fine on that device.

Also, repairing that one, if that is the total cost, would be way cheaper than purchasing a new device.

In the end, it is really up to you.
I maybe should have mentioned that the phone also needs a new battery and the charging port is totally worn out (I use wireless charging to charge it now) and that brings the cost of repairing it up to half of the price for example an new One Plus device.

I also need to add that I really love this device and it hurts seeing it go. As you can see I have mixed feelings about this and greatly needs some advice.

Please also add what you would do if you were in my situation.

Feb 7, 2019
I broke mine accidentally and to repair it cost $150, i traded in the broken phone and got a new one, i't was a good call.
Buy a new phone if you can aford it and the price of a new phone's not that significant from the repair price.
In case you getting a new phone, don't forget to save all the passwords and two factor authentication codes, I had hard time to restore them.

What would it cost on e-Bay to buy an identical phone being sold by someone who's moved on to a more up-todate model?

My phone's power jack is broken so I bought another one, same make and model, which is just used to charge a battery and as an extra backup. I also get a free spare battery so there's no chance of running out of power.

Solution
Feb 12, 2019

I am not really sure if I understand the question but a new device just like my old one cost almost as much as doing the repair. ( It is an 50-100 USD difference)

I was lucky to find the same a phone which was make and model but was failing in the sound department. That made it very cheap.

The reason I did it that way was because I wouldn't lose all the data and settings and have to start again with a new device. FonePaw could back it all up to my laptop but wouldn't restore that backup to a different phone so I have to keep my old one on the road until it dies completely.

Feb 12, 2019
I was lucky to find the same a phone which was make and model but was failing in the sound department. That made it very cheap.

The reason I did it that way was because I wouldn't lose all the data and settings and have to start again with a new device. FonePaw could back it all up to my laptop but wouldn't restore that backup to a different phone so I have to keep my old one on the road until it dies completely.
Okay, now I get it