Repairing a Toshiba Satellite P850-12X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nook93

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I am trying to clean up the inside of a Toshiba P850-12X because it keeps overheating. The problem is I can't get inside the laptop. I've removed all the screws from the base (including the ones under the battery and HDD) but when I try to remove the top plate, it seems as if there are other screws as I can't lift it away. The point where it is stuck is on the left and right hand sides of the keyboard. There is no separate bessel above the keyboard. Do I have to remove the keyboard separately? If so, how? Or do I just keep pulling?
Thanks, Scott

google Satellite P850-12X disassembly guide and I bet you'll find a step by step on how to take it apart without breaking or even a youtube video. I fix probably 15 laptops a months for overheating and google is my friend because every laptop is different and I rather read a guide or watch a video, than break something or yank on something and snap some rare, obscure ribbon cable that costs me $60 to replace.

Nook93

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Sorry to say neither of the above helped at all. I've already tried Google and the guide linked has a generic keyboard replacement (which I had already found).

After messing around this afternoon I found that you do indeed have to remove the keyboard first, there are screws fixing the top plate in place beneath it. The keyboard can be remove independently of the rest of the casing. There are many snap points around the edges, you need to insert something small and flat in one of the lower corners and free all the fixings points along the bottom, left and right sides. The you can slide the keyboard towards yourself freeing it from the top. Finally, there is a fixing somewhere around the underside of the T key, it looks like a screw but it is just another push fixing. The keyboard can be gentle lifted up, the ribbon cable remove. All that is left to get to the fan is unscrewing all visible screws from the top and base and unplug visible cables and one that is beneath the front plate. You can remove the fan and clean the side vent from here (mine was full of dust). Getting to the CPU/Heat sink is more difficult as it requires removing the motherboard completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.