Repeated Freezing While Gaming on laptop and Sometimes Blue Screen.

Jul 6, 2018
Hello!
I have been having this problem for quite sometime and have no idea what is going on. I would be so so thankful if anyone could help me out. I think it may have something to do with my graphics card or heating but I do not have much knowledge in that area. So i have a lenovo y510p which was purchased in 2013. For the about the past 6-8 months I have had this problem where I will be playing DotA 2 and the game randomly freezes. When this happens it seems as though the game is minimised. So I can see my desktop when this happens but the in game cursor is still there and I can hear the game still being played. But I cannot get back into the game. When it does happen I know button input is still accepted by the game as I can press f9 to pause the game and then close it. If I alt tab then the normal desktop cursor comes forward and the game sound goes away. Also I have noticed a small box on the top left of my screen that says Dota 2 when it happens. When I go to task manager it does not say anything about not responding but that it is running fine. I must end task or right click dota on tool bar and close it and then restart the game. This is very random as sometimes I can go an entire game without it happening or it happens 3 or 4 times a game. Also I have had a blue screen about 4-5 times since this has started to happen where the blue screen shows up and then the pc restarts. I play the game on all low settings. I also use a monitor that is hooked up through hdmi. I have checked to see if this happens while playing on the laptop screen and it still does. I have recently done a clean install of windows and this did not fix the problem. I have also verified the dota 2 files through steam and everything is fine.The graphics drivers are also up to date through geforce experience. I do notice that my laptop can run pretty hot when gaming. This has been the most frustrating thing for me. Any help would be awesome. The laptop specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.40GHz
Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
Motherboard is LENOVO 20217 (U3E1)
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Lenovo)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (Lenovo)
ForceWare version: 398.36
SLI Disabled
Storage: 22GB LITEONIT LSS-24L6G (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB (SATA )
Please let me know if any other info is needed. And once again thank you ever so much for your help!

Solution
I am going to guess that your thermals are the problem. If those temps go any higher, both the cpu and the gpu will downclock and cause crazy stuttering and artifacts. It might even blue screen when the cpu hits 100C. You should definitely try cleaning out the dust and reapplying thermal paste to the cpu and gpu. If you don't feel comfortable, then you could just take it to a local repair shop. geforce experience should have kept the gpu drivers updated after the clean windows install.

Oh just saw that your laptop was from 2013. Guaranteed the thermal paste is dried up. If you do it yourself, do not remove the thermal pads on the heatsink and try to replace them with thermal paste. They can only be replaced with thermal pads.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
1. Might as well monitor temps while you are gaming. I like hwinfo. Might be time to change that old thermal paste.
2. That hdd that the game is probably installed on is getting pretty old and could be going bad. Try going into command prompt and typing chkdsk C: to look for errors.
3. You might try downloading BlueScreen Viewer to see which files are causing your computer to crash. That could tell if it was driver related.

Jul 6, 2018

First off thank you so much for for the response!<3

So monitoring temps while gaming for about 45 mins my cpu was at 93c and gpu 85c and hd at 40c. It would definitely be hotter if I kept gaming for longer. I did the disk check and it came up with no problems. I downloaded blue screen but as I said in original post the blue screen crash happens only once in a blue moon but I will keep it for when it happens again. Do these temps mean I should I clean dust/ apply new thermal paste? Also I know the geforce experience keeps the drivers updated for my gpu but is it possible that something could have messed up while updating? When I reinstalled windows os did my gpu drivers also get cleaned? Should I try for a clean driver install for my gpu? If so is there a program to make this easy? I cant find anything of the sorts on the geforce experience program.
Thanks again smoochie.

shmoochie

Prominent
May 10, 2018
I am going to guess that your thermals are the problem. If those temps go any higher, both the cpu and the gpu will downclock and cause crazy stuttering and artifacts. It might even blue screen when the cpu hits 100C. You should definitely try cleaning out the dust and reapplying thermal paste to the cpu and gpu. If you don't feel comfortable, then you could just take it to a local repair shop. geforce experience should have kept the gpu drivers updated after the clean windows install.

Oh just saw that your laptop was from 2013. Guaranteed the thermal paste is dried up. If you do it yourself, do not remove the thermal pads on the heatsink and try to replace them with thermal paste. They can only be replaced with thermal pads.

Solution