Question replaced both laptop fans but will not post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2023
Tried replacing my laptop fans (both cpu and gpu), after install laptop wont POST.

troubleshooting done:

removed battery
reset CMOS
reseat fans

all done with both new fans installed and each fans while old fan is installed.

still did not POST.

Tried replacing the fans while laptop is on, new fans work, but old fans will shutdown after a few minutes. will do a restart but will not post.

any ideas on what is happening and how to fix this?

Thanks!

redtrash

Prominent
Feb 4, 2023
Are the new fans original / compatible for your model or they are just fans that have the same shape?
Maybe some voltage/controller difference!?

Can't understand your first statement:
Tried replacing the fans while laptop is on, new fans work, but old fans will shutdown after a few minutes. will do a restart but will not post.
with your last
yes and using it now with old fans installed

what exactly shut down ? the PC shut down or the fans stop spinning?
In the first case could be that the fans cannot provide enough cooling and the cpu/gpu overheat causing the shutdown for protection.
The second case could be the controller that is set as "quiet" so stop the fans spinning if the temperature is not high, so is normal that the fans stops, but is also necessary that the fans restart when needed. If so, try to stress the cpu/gpu and see if the fans start spinning again.

Feb 4, 2023
Are the new fans original / compatible for your model or they are just fans that have the same shape?
Maybe some voltage/controller difference!?

Can't understand your first statement:

with your last

what exactly shut down ? the PC shut down or the fans stop spinning?
In the first case could be that the fans cannot provide enough cooling and the cpu/gpu overheat causing the shutdown for protection.
The second case could be the controller that is set as "quiet" so stop the fans spinning if the temperature is not high, so is normal that the fans stops, but is also necessary that the fans restart when needed. If so, try to stress the cpu/gpu and see if the fans start spinning again.

old fans was 5v=2.25w
new fans is 5v=2.00w
that's. a 0.05A difference lower A than the original, which in theory should work, but i have no way to confirm.

let me rephrase, 'when I tried replacing the old fans while laptop is on with the new fans , the new fans will spin and work, but old fans will stop spinning after a few minutes. regardless of stress test, and when I do a restart with that said set up ( one old one new fan) the laptop won't post. I did this set up alternately with one new and one old fan.'

thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.