replacement A/C adapter - is slightly lower amperage OK?

bj1432

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I have a Dell laptop. The original A/C adapter was beginning to fail, so I ordered a new adapter that claimed to be compatible with the model number of my old adapter (LA65NS2-00). The old adapter is rated at 1.6A, while the new adapter is rated at 1.5A. I know that the new adapter is supposed to be rated at least as high as the old, and that's not the case here. However, the difference is small: is 0.1A going to make a difference? Do I risk the laptop overheating by using it? If it helps, here's where I got the replacement adapter from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-65W-AC-Adapter-Power-Supply-for-Dell-DA65NS4-00-LA65NS2-00-NX061-XK850-/190807714144?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:3160

Thanks in advance for any help!

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Dell sometimes supplies different adapters when there are different configurations in the same laptop. For example, one laptop with integrated graphics will have a slightly lower rated power supply than the same model with discrete graphics.

Since I don't know the specifics of your Dell, give the tech support people a call and find out. If they say it is compatible, it probably is OK unless you have the laptop maxed out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WHydoIdothis Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 0
K Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
T Laptop Tech Support 4
T Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 8
J Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 3