Replacement hard drive for laptop

dinky_7

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I need to replace the hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite L650 13U.

Does it matter what I replace it with as long as it is a SATA, 5400 rpm, 8MB cache and 2.5 in size?

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
as long as it is a laptop sized hard drive, you can fit whatever you want. There are laptop sized 7000+ rpm available or a nice Crucial M4 SSD when they are on offer is another great alternative.

dinky_7

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Brilliant, just what I thought.

I was reading about the SSD...they do need to be on offer!!

Is there any real benefit to getting a faster rpm? Can the difference be detected?

Thanks very much :D

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Yes it can. You'll notice a difference in load times on applications, boot, basically anytime your laptop has to go to the hard drive to gather data it'll be faster. Personal opinion thou.. Look or wait for a nice ssd to be on sale/bargain. You'll notice the biggest difference with an ssd. Worth every penny.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

Yes, faster RPM, faster load times.

No RPM, though, can match an SSD which is why VelociRaptor harddrives are no longer sought after.

geofelt

Distinguished
Why do you need to replace your hard drive?

Yes, 2.5" sata is what you need. Other specs do not matter.

If a SSD has the capacity to hold your data, then do what you must to to get one.
It will absolutely transform the performance of your pc, regardless of the power of the cpu.
A SSD is 50x faster than a hard drive in random access which is what we do mostly. It is also 2x faster in sequential than any hard drive.

dinky_7

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
thanks for all those answers :)

Hard drive had died hence replacement.

Would love the SSD and the speed but really can't justify the extra cost. Might have a look around at them though. Do they connect in the same way as the SATA?

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Yes they connect the same way.