replacing dvd with ssd, add video editing performance?

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I'm looking at a budget laptop for video editing with Adobe CC (Use After effects and premiere mostly). my budget is a max of $1000

WOndering if replacing the optical drive dvd with another ssd and using that with after effects would make previewing and rendering faster than doing it all on 1 ssd?

the laptop and another ssd would cost around $900 total whereas buying a laptop with 6th gen i7 and 1 ssd is going to put me way over $1000

The laptop I'm looking at is using an i5 processor and an AMD gpu but I'm wondering if using 2 ssd's might offset performance a little and keep me at my budget compared to a setup with an i7, 1 ssd, and an nvidia gtx gpu using the same ram

specs of the budget laptop without a second ssd.
windows 10 pro
6th gen Intel Core i5-6200U Processor 2.3GHz
8gb ddr3-1600 (upgradable to 16)
256 ssd
amd radeon r7 m340 gpu

what do you think?

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
It may help a little but for single title (1080p) editing the CPU is more of a bottleneck than storage. Multi title or high resolution titles (4K) storage will have a larger effect. but a laptop is certainly less than ideal for that and CPU would still be more important.

The GPU is less important than the CPU. The GPU is used to offload certain tasks (adobe even has a list of which ones I'll try and find it.) but the bulk of it will still be done on the CPU.

order of importance:
CPU
RAM
Storage
GPU

EDIT: clarified some things added the order of importance

Agreed.

*I would add that 16GB is a very good idea, and better than the 2nd SSD overall for video editing. I'd investigate the cost to upgrade to 16GB. I don't recommend mixing memory though (i.e. adding 2nd 8GB stick of different type).

Other memory:
You're likely losing some performance with only one stick of memory with that CPU. Unfortunately, if you had two to enable Dual Channel mode (2x4GB) then probably both slots would be fixed. So you really need 2x8GB for the proper bandwidth and amount.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Excellent info!!!!

I'll look at some different configurations but it looks like a stronger i7 cpu (just 4th gen) along with a 256gb ssd put me way over $1000. ( not ignoring your order of importance above......but I want the ssd for fast booting of windows).

I'll keep looking

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Following your and Spectre's advice, I'm no longer looking at a 2nd ssd and will focus on cpu, ram, and try to find that with an ssd for $1000k or less. Might have to just start with 8gb ram and add more later when funds become available.

thanks for your advice

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Not sure were you are but take a look http://www.xoticpc.com/ specifically their Sager/Clevo ones. These are usually not as "fancy" (read heavier bulkier) as say HP/Dell/MSI but you will be able to get an i7 for under $1000 they are also pretty well built.

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Great, I'll look into them.

otherwise, it looks like i might go with this laptop and bulk up the ram to 16gb.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/457659/ProBook_450_G3_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Gravity_Black

glasshalffull

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
i think i'm settling on this laptop and going to add an m.2 ssd to it and maybe also replace the hdd later with an ssd when funds provide

http://www.microcenter.com/product/455707/ROG_GL552VW-DH71_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_ROG_Metallic

i have a quick question about how to set this up when adding an m.2 ssd

my goal is to gain the quickest rendering/previewing with After Effects /Premiere with this existing system....while i would like to have windows boot quick i can sacrifice that for faster adobe software performance

Looking to add this fast m.2 to this system: http://www.microcenter.com/product/455999/950_Pro_256GB...

which scenario would make the greatest speed gains:

1. installing that m.2 and moving windows to it and installing all of the adobe software to it and then using the hdd to save the projects/data to

or

2. installing the m.2 and using it as the drive to save projects/data that I create from the adobe products.......and leaving windows on the hdd and installing the adobe products to it

thanks

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Install all of your adobe programs/OS to the SSD. Use the HDD for all the projects files/data. Then make sure your scratch disk is specified as the SSD. That will give you the greatest performance with your setup.