Replacing hard drive on acer e1-522

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Hi bit new here please go easy.

Bought a laptop without a hard drive, i have replaced with a blank one and now i am having issues starting the laptop up. It is asking for recovery media as missing boot device.

Never replaced a hard drive on a computer, so any help be much apprecited. It is a windows 8 ios i think i was ripped off £16 for recovery download for the acer item. How do i get the laptop up and running. The hard drive is installed correctly as checked on the booting page.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
I have been trying to recover it using a recovery usb drive. I think it is not possible is it? Is it the case of buying a version of windows 8 and just installing onto the hard drive?

Also like i said i paid £16 for the recovery download which is burned onto disc for the Acer e1-522 window 8. That has not done nothing.

Sammyjo20

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
If you have a licence of Windows 8 on the laptop, it should be licenced if you install windows to it, if not, you can install windows, but you only get a 30 day trial.

You will have to boot to your memory stick. When the PC turns on, rapidly press "F12" to go into the boot options, when it pops up, select your memory stick. If it's not F12, try F2, delete or escape.

- Sam

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Just going by the sticker on the back of the laptop which is a windows 8 label. You said something about windows 8 licence 30 day trial where would i get that from?

Sammyjo20

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
Don't worry. You will have a windows licence. Just follow the steps above to boot to your memory stick :) If that's successful, it should take you to a Windows 8 install page.

- Sam

Sammyjo20

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

If it has a sticker on the back, I'm guessing it's a windows one wouldn't it be an OEM version of windows where the key is written into the motherboard? It worked for my mate when I installed a new HDD for him

- Sam

USAFRet

Illustrious
Win 8 and later will NOT have the license key printed on the laptop case.

You have 3 options to obtain a valid license for this:
1. From whomever you bought this from.
2. Contact the manufacturer for the full Factory Recovery DVD. (not that thing you bought)
3. Buy a whole new OS.

#3 is recommended.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

I knew it would be the case of buying the whole windows 8 OS. Just thought i could recover using them recovery discs bit of a stupid move and a waste of £16. The laptop was bought from a police auction, they remove all hard drives and just sell the laptop as its self.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016
Just one more questions i have another laptop which is window 7 and has the product key written on the window sticker. Is it just the case of booting from usb stick with the windows 7 on and entering the product key?

USAFRet

Illustrious

No, you can't use that license key on a different laptop.

USAFRet

Illustrious

You need to purchase a valid OS, from a valid reseller. Amazon, Newegg or similar.

dalecool92

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

Sorry, i just meant on the other laptop when i replace the hard-drive can i just boot it up with the flash drive and enter the product key. I am not talking about the acer- e1-522 any more.