Replacing Laptop Cooling Fan Motor/blades?

kronoset

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
I recently got a Lenovo Ideapad 720s and the fans produce a high-pitched whistling noise (that Lenovo support swears they can't reproduce despite the fact that the complaint has been popping up in their forums. I like everything else about the laptop and would be interested in replacing the fan motor/ blade with a third party fan. My question is, do most modern laptop fans use the same connector? If I got an ASUS fan, could I hook it up in a Lenovo laptop of the same size, assuming that I could fit the fan in Lenovo's fan housing?

Also, just to preempt the question--no it's not a BIOS issue. Lenovos tend to have noisy fan cycling under load, but this is a noise that's clearly being generated by the fan motor.

Thanks in advance for any info.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
Are you sure its fan causing it, Does it get louder when fans ramp up? Try stress testing cpu example. High pitched noise might come from motherboard also or cpu. I had this problem on a thinkpad. heatsink was too tightly screwed to cpu

kronoset

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017

Yeah, I removed the back plate and ran the test via XTU to source the noise. Def seemed to be the fans.

fagetti

Prominent
Mar 1, 2018
can you upload to YouTube example and we can hear the noise? just to be sure. Im sure you can replace it if its fan causing it, make sure to use good oil for it, i remember after adding oil to few laptop fans they die after few months. Add only 1 drop not more and quality stuff