Replacing my harddrive.

Mar 7, 2018
Here's the problem
Brought the laptop as spares with the assumption I could repair it with a hard drive replacement
The laptop hangs on automatic repair. (Just a black screen showing the mouse)

Laptop has no CD drive so I installed Windows 7 onto the hard drive via my desktop pc.
I opened her up. Replaced with same size 500gb hard drive that I put Windows 7 on (all works on the desktop) but it says no is found.

I even enabled legacy mode and it still says no bootable os.

Yet the old hard drive that allegedly is busted loads to a black screen with a mouse.

Any ideas?

Solution
The "bad" laptop hard drive that hangs on automatic repair (black screen w/mouse), may be due to the installed Windows not including a Recovery Partition... in such case it may require a Windows install disk or USB for the automatic repair to continue... and if it doesn't, and you don't mind losing the data on the HDD, you could format it and do a clean Windows install on the laptop from a USB flash drive Windows installer.

A windows installation done on a different computer (your PC) will not boot in a different computer.. in this case your Laptop, due to the Microsoft's Windows licencing anti-piracy policies... but you can install Windows on the said HDD in the Laptop from a USB Flash Windows Installer, and use the Windows Product...

Chicano

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
The "bad" laptop hard drive that hangs on automatic repair (black screen w/mouse), may be due to the installed Windows not including a Recovery Partition... in such case it may require a Windows install disk or USB for the automatic repair to continue... and if it doesn't, and you don't mind losing the data on the HDD, you could format it and do a clean Windows install on the laptop from a USB flash drive Windows installer.

A windows installation done on a different computer (your PC) will not boot in a different computer.. in this case your Laptop, due to the Microsoft's Windows licencing anti-piracy policies... but you can install Windows on the said HDD in the Laptop from a USB Flash Windows Installer, and use the Windows Product Key included in the Laptop COA sticker.

How to Install Windows 7 From USB
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-2626264

How to Create a USB Flash Drive Installer for Windows 10, 8, or 7
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9585/how-to-setup-a-usb-flash-drive-to-install-windows-7/

Solution