Replacing my lower use travel laptop after 9 years (last 2 very painful to use)

jtenneson

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
1. What is your budget? $700-800 range - I don't travel 25% of year as I did previously, so I don't want to kill the bank.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" - Thinner/lighter would be preferable

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Basically a system for standard office work (Office365) and older AAA gaming at the high end

5. How much battery life do you need? 2 hours under use would be fine, will usually be plugged in

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes. Blizzard titles plus various games on Steam, but not really an FPSer or latest AAA gamer. Preferably on High to start with (well, that's Blizzard High, not Witcher High) with the expecation it will trail off over time to medium

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Nothing stressful. World, Excel, PowerPoint

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I have an after market Seagate Momentus XT 2.5" SATA SSHD (original HDD died) so something like a 1TB HDD would be nice for storage with space to put the Seagate in as a second drive - or if only 1 bay, smallest drive as I'll just swap it out (so if only 1 bay, then a HHD instead of a SSD)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Typically Newegg or Amazon

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 6 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? N/A

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. For laptops, no strong preference - Acer, Dell and others like Lenevo, Asus, HP etc

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. This will used when I travel smaller would be preferable all things considered. ideally an i7 as most things I do are more CPU than GPU intensive, but a 1050 or 1060 for extended lifetime would be nice.

I've done some research, and a Dell G3ish system seems appropriate? But I haven't found a really good comparison site yet so I don't know what else is out there.

Thank you!

jtenneson

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Arch, Schiz,

Thank you for the feedback. Looking over the specs, I like the Dell G3 slightly over the MSI GV62 in Arch's post. I appreciate the options and comparisons provided! In the end it was the higher clock speed and 8th gen CPU... and with the i7 varient on the G3 being scarily close to being really attractive. Especially if I can find a good Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal in the next couple of weeks.