Replacing Volume control knob on a Boss Audio MC420B

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatawick

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
Bought a new to me Harley with this audio system installed. Pic 1 is what the volume control knob looked like. Pic 2 is what it looks like now, don't ask it was a stupid mistake. All the volume knobs i have seen online have 3 connectors, positive, negative, and a ground. As you can see from pic 2 there a 6 wires and a wire mesh (which i am assuming is the ground). I am hoping one of you wizards can:

1. Tell me where a can get a replacement volume knob
2. Tell me how it should be wired

Pic 3 is the board from the amp. I know I can replace this whole thing for about $65 - $70 bucks, but I am cheap.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Pic 1
cKKbwzV.jpg

Pic 2
HvyFeNV.jpg

Pic 3
mtpFCUa.jpg

Solution
You would also need to know the resistance of the volume pot and whether it's linear or log. Unless Boss Audio will cooperate I think you are out of luck. Maybe they will sell you the complete pot and cable assembly. That would be easy to install.

whatawick

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017

It ripped it off completely and is on the road somewhere. Looked for it but couldn't find it. I called the manufacture and asked for the wiring diagram, they only give those to their techs. :(

I could see it possibly being a left, right and common ground to send TO the volume knob, and then a left, right, and common ground being send back, after the potentiometer has reduced the volume. Hard to say as most potentiometer only have 3 terminals.

If you have an extra speakers, you could hook it up to various wires and see if you get sound out of it. lol.

whatawick

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017

I can still connect with bluetooth, but even with the volume on the phone turned all the way up it is very faint.

Apr 25, 2018

Sep 5, 2018

Just curious to know we’re you by chance buffing the bike when this happened I know it’s been a year but I have to know because my son and I put the same system setup on his sportster and all summer had a blast now he’s back to school the day before he was buffing the tank when it got away on him and tore the volume control and wires to shreds we are searching for the same thing as u now. How ironic

Status
Not open for further replies.