replacing Windows on new harddrive

Janet_7

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I upgraded my toshiba laptop to Windows 10, then kept getting warnings saying hard drive is faulty and is going to crash. I've created restore discs ( but did this after upgrading to Windows 10) and I've totally reset my laptop to factory settings ( took over 24 hours) still getting same warnings . If I buy a new hard drive , how do I reload Windows? as the restore discs were created from Windows 10 and the key on the bottom of the laptop refers to the Windows 7 that was installed when I bought it .

Solution
If you have already Upgraded to WIn 10, you do not need your old Win 7 install or the license key.

Go here and download this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Create your install media, DVD or USB
Install the new drive and install the OS on it.

When it asks for the license key, skip.
When it is all done, try the activation. It should work, because the details of your system are already registered at the mothership.

Jeff Mongillo

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
Is it still the original HDD? And did you do the upgrade to Win 10 from MS (via that app that pops up on your taskbar)? If yes to both, you can revert to Win 7 thru that, then get yourself a new HDD and using a shadow program or cloning software, you can transfer everything, OS and all to the new HDD via a USB cord with a SATA power and data clip on the other end, to attach externally to the drive you are transferring to. Then just remove the old drive and install the new one and it should be the same. THEN, try re-upgrading to Win 10.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

If you are back to Windows 7 as delivered state then you should be able to make a Windows 7 Recovery DVD set using Toshiba software.
(unless faulty hard disk errors prevent this working)

Windows 7 on several toshiba laptops I have used had a C: and D: partition of approximately equal size with recovery images in a folder on D:

If you can make those Win 7 recovery images keep as a backup plan incase the following fails

Download the lattest Win 10 ISO using MS software to make bootable Win 10 DVD or USB

Install Win 10 on new hard disk and it should accept Win 7 key to install and recognose it has been previously installed on your laptop so save reinstalling Win 7

best of luck

Mike Barnes

Janet_7

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Janet_7

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
d

It is the same HDD but as I updated more than 30 days ago I cannot go back to Windows 7. I am not technically minded so don't understand a lot of what you put. Thanks anyway.

Janet_7

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

Not sure it will work with the code from my laptop as it was on the machine when I bought it and I don't have a separate disc.

USAFRet

Illustrious
If you have already Upgraded to WIn 10, you do not need your old Win 7 install or the license key.

Go here and download this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Create your install media, DVD or USB
Install the new drive and install the OS on it.

When it asks for the license key, skip.
When it is all done, try the activation. It should work, because the details of your system are already registered at the mothership.

Solution