Report: $50 Wii Price Cut on September 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

50 Bucks is still $50.00 less to loose if we end up bricking our Wii's by accident when we try to get Rock Band II World Tour, The Beetles, Guitar Hero 5 or any of the other new ones to work on our Soft Modded Wii's

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]The Wii was originally the underpowered "value" console. Remember that? Now it's just underpowered.[/citation]

Yet, Nintendo's Wii out sells Sony's PS3 and MS's Xbox360 since day one. AND....Nintendo has been making millions to billions on profit per Wii vs. Sony and MS - AGAIN...since day one.

So what is the relevence of "Power" have to do with anything?

I am no fanboy, but rather from a marketing profit standpoint, Nintendo as a company is pure genious.

T3kl0rD

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Nintendo knew where the money was and that was with the casual gamer which Wii is targeted to. If they guessed wrong, they would have joined Sega on the sidelines of the gaming console business.

Dave_69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I am no fanboy, but rather from a marketing profit standpoint, Nintendo as a company is pure genious.

I think they did it with price point and an appeal to simplicity. The PS3 and its counterpart are very specialized machines - they cost a lot. Moreover, they are somewhat complex because of the integration of all that other stuff like Blu-Ray, PS store, etc. (I'm mostly thinking PS3 here). In a word, it's for geeks (like me). The Wii doesn't appeal to geeks as readily as the others do. But the issue here is that the Wii also appeals to parents thanks to "games" like Wii Fit and the Sports one. These games are nothing spectacular to look at, but they retain their fun value for all the age groups.

Yes, marketing genius. Personally I don't like the Wii, and even with a price drop I won't buy one (again, geek factor!), but I agree that they made the Wii to be cheap and simple so it appeals to all age groups. The others didn't quite do that, in my estimation.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
exactly,

and now both Sony and Microsoft are making there own motion controls so they can try to tap into the "casual" gamer crowd. i doubt they can do it since they don't have the image Nintendo has

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
Nintendo has been genius this generation tapping the "casual" gaming market. The Wii is still outselling the 360 and PS3. The install base of the Wii is roughly equal to that of the 360 and PS3 combined. I own a Wii, PS3, and a gaming PC and I consider myself pretty a "hardcore" gamer, but it's refreshing to play something casual like wii sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.