Report: Apple May Purchase ARM Holdings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Now, THAT is scary!

To think of all the devices that would be controlled by Apple, They even might start disapproving the games i play on my gameboy!(kidding, but i wouldn't be surprised)

G

"They crush competitors by out-designing them, out-marketing them and out-selling them, period"

No, not "period". They also have a strong history of crushing competition through litigation. ARM Holdings would dramatically increase Apple's patent portfolio.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Cash reserve of $41.7 billion? We need some corporate tax here cuz the economy going to shit and god dam! the mass is so uneducated! Apple products are overpriced and overrated in my opinion... but still grats on Apple's marketing skills :p

G

ARM is not a manufacture, and buying ARM will not be much of a benefit to Apple because it can just license it like everyone else. If they were to buy a foundry or nVidia that would make a lot more sense. Tigra would be useful in replacing x86 for the high power systems and keep licensing ARM would be good for the mobile systems.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
AMD better ante up and purchase ARM first. With Meego Intel will start inserting their modified Atom chips into phones and will provide an alternative to ARM processors. This will be a market that AMD will not have a product in. If AMD buys ARM then AMD will have the largest stake in the market and will be able to quell Intel pushing their mobile processors on everybody.

Plus if Apple buys ARM then Apple will do as Apple always does. Charge a lot for their products. Then Intel, knowing Apple is charging a lot for ARM processors, will in turn charge a lot, albeit not as much but still a lot. And in turn the only loser is the consumer.

AMD must act quick to save the competitive phone processor market.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
An acquisition doesn't make sense in my opinion. Where is the money in this investment for Apple? Where is the technology advantage that Apple can't already take? In a very, very long run? This only lower Apple profits and will make them more dependable. ARM already license their technology and allows other companies to personalize their products and this is the opportunity Apple already took advantage of with PA Semi acquisition.

Also there were very recent news reporting some key high positioned PA Semi engineers going away. If they though Apple would acquire ARM why would they go from PA Semi? Or why Apple let them go? To replace them with other engineers from ARM? Well,... to manny questions and disadvantages I don't see pointing to an imminent acquisition from Apple.

All this speculation however may imply Apple getting closer to ARM, making stronger investment in their technology. But I can't deny that is very intriguing what Apple is going to do with all that big pile of capital.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Monopoly laws will not allow this to happen. This is like if Microsoft buys Intel.[/citation]
Could you explain how Apple+ARM or MS+Intel are monopolies?

tsk_cable

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]AMD better ante up and purchase ARM first. With Meego Intel will start inserting their modified Atom chips into phones and will provide an alternative to ARM processors. This will be a market that AMD will not have a product in. If AMD buys ARM then AMD will have the largest stake in the market and will be able to quell Intel pushing their mobile processors on everybody.Plus if Apple buys ARM then Apple will do as Apple always does. Charge a lot for their products. Then Intel, knowing Apple is charging a lot for ARM processors, will in turn charge a lot, albeit not as much but still a lot. And in turn the only loser is the consumer.AMD must act quick to save the competitive phone processor market.[/citation]

True but AMD don't have the money =/

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Could you explain how Apple+ARM or MS+Intel are monopolies?[/citation]
Exactly, there is no monopoly there. Plus AMD has it's own chip for MID's or phones (take a look at what bobcat) plus there's via in the market, qualcomm, motorola etc.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Could you explain how Apple+ARM or MS+Intel are monopolies?[/citation]

If ARM products are cheaper than their competitors, then by preventing others from using the technology, Apple will be forcing their rivals into using more expensive technology and thus potentially raising their prices. Regardless, it may cut some of Apple's expenditure having ARM on board instead of making their own chips.

I'd have been more concerned if this was about buying Qualcomm, though.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
For the love of God I hope not, Apple is the IBM of our era and getting worse. Proprietary operating system, proprietary hardware, and a centralized control mentality.

Apple Nazis
ARM= Cekoslovakya (I can say this I am of Czech heritage)

Status
Not open for further replies.