Report: Apple Pitching $30/mo iTunes TV Service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quixsoft

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Roku and Netflix is only $9.00 (USD) a month and I can watch the shows on my Big Screen TV in HD. What is Apple offering to me for an additional $21.00 (USD) a month? They don’t have a lock on content. Roku also includes the Amazon Channel which includes all the latest Movie Releases on Demand. I don’t see it. And Netflix is adding new content all the time. Apple has some competition on this one

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]rcmaniac25[/nom]They have this already, it's called YouTube, and its free.[/citation]

Ture.....

but.... "thanks" to the Google.... they took most of the "copyrighted" video clips off the YouTube. Beside that.. I am not really in favor of taking a break every 5-10min (most of the shows in youtube are broke down to 5-10min clips which can annoying)...

But anyway... just like I said before... if is going to be an all you can eat video fest... I will think about it.. other than that...

I am not sure... guess I will just have to wait and see....
since this sounds like just another Apple rumor....

If is a rumor... specially an Apple rumor..... you just never know.

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Here's what they would have to offer:

1. Full HD Content, as in 1080p. Without broadcast constraints, there's no reason that a computer-based TV service should not have 1080p content as an option.

2. Premium content at no extra charges. That means HBO, Cinemax, etc. No additional fees. Should all be included in subscription cost and should be accessable without restriction.

3. Sports. If you're asking to replace cable television as an option, you MUST MUST MUST have sports options. Again, this should be inclusive.

4. Access to live as well as "on-demand" content. No one will adopt a cable replacement unless they can access things like 24 hour news networks, etc. There is no use for this content unless it's live.

5. Local content. Again, if you're replacing cable as well as making your computer the media centerpiece of a household, you need to provide live access to local/regional content.

6. Exclusive content. If you want to set yourself apart from cable you have to offer something it DOESN'T offer. That means exclusive content to the iTunes service. Webcasts, behind the scenes, digital shorts, commentaries and even eventually original programming. Otherwise people will... not... switch.

7. Adult content. The adult entertainment industry has decided much in the way of economic entertainment infrastructure, such as formats (VHS/Beta) and the like. Capture this market and people will come (quietly) in droves.

If Apple can bring all that to the table, they may have a chance.

G

...interesting that apple is trying to pitch an internet tv subscription around the same time one of the Hulu guys was talking about making Hulu a paid subscription with more premium content.
All the while most (if not all) of our ISPs are freaking out, wondering how much more they can blame pirates for the increase in network usage, when it's really just people streaming their tv and movie subscription through the internet.
I guess this begs the question for those who have it. Verizon FIOS or U-verse customers, isn't your basic cable (really it's IPTV) subscription around $30, with free DVR, etc? Yeah with apple streaming you could purportedly put it on your iphone, but apple doesn't even have anyone on board yet. I won't buy it... I sunk $30 bucks into one of their tv series offered for their 'season pass' it lasted 13 episodes...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Erdinger[/nom]Hmmm in combination with a 27 inch Imac (or whatever these macs are called) I can image that you dan save yourself buying a tv. good Idea[/citation]

You made a big mistake. You can't say anything positive about Apple products here in the comments section. "Good idea" juxtapose to "27 inch iMac" is a major no-no.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
ryanegeiger -

Could you point out a single cable or satellite company that offers everything you said for a reasonable price? It doesn't exist so I don't know why you would expect Apple (or anyone) to be able to deliver all of those features at $30. This is designed to replace high-end cable. You get your rabbit ears out for the local crap and iTunes TV service for all of your shows and movies.

ryanegeiger

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]ryanegeiger -Could you point out a single cable or satellite company that offers everything you said for a reasonable price? It doesn't exist so I don't know why you would expect Apple (or anyone) to be able to deliver all of those features at $30. This is designed to replace high-end cable. You get your rabbit ears out for the local crap and iTunes TV service for all of your shows and movies.[/citation]

If you're talking about replacing ANY type of cable service, then you're asking families to make the computer the entertainment focus of the house. Unless you can talk families into watching Local TV and sports in their living room, then gathering around the office or whipping out the laptop for the "premium" content, then you're asking people to subscribe to an EXTRA service that won't give them the access that their basic service does. People gravitate toward services like Hulu and Fancast when they're bored, in the office, out and about... and the reason they do it is because it's FREE and there's really no reason NOT to. If Apple, Hulu or anyone wants people to pay for an additional service, they have to be able to replace a service we're already paying for or expect a loss leader product. With the amount of services going to a monthly-subscription based model, eventually people's residual incomes will be tapped out and people will start cutting out the unnecessary/underused services, and companies need to take this into account when developing a product.

... except WoW... for some god-awful reason people will still pay for that every month.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]ryanegeiger -Could you point out a single cable or satellite company that offers everything you said for a reasonable price? It doesn't exist so I don't know why you would expect Apple (or anyone) to be able to deliver all of those features at $30. This is designed to replace high-end cable. You get your rabbit ears out for the local crap and iTunes TV service for all of your shows and movies.[/citation]

Actually I have had a positive experience with Dish Network as they offer everything Ryangeiger mentioned. I am sure Direct TV is similar.

For a little over $40 a month I get a DVR (VIP 722, with remote DVR capability) and everything Ryangeiger mentioned:

1) HD programming
2) Free Cinemax since I am enrolled in autopay, although HBO I would have to pay for
3) Sports
4) If I wanted to I could pay for on demand stuff
5) Local channels.
6) Dish Network does have exclusive stuff (i.e. Dish Earth and HD movies)
7) Adult content

However, there is a contract. If Apple could offer all that at a lower price ($30 would be awesome) I would probably use that service!

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]podsix[/nom]Typically I'd agree with you to some extent, however, I just can't see myself sitting at a desk or huddled around a laptop to watch TV. I don't know, maybe there's an entire market out there that I'm completely missing but I'd rather take the couch over an office chair. Just my opinion.[/citation]
Not that I intend to do it, but new 27" iMac comes ready to hang on the wall. It seems Apple already expects some people to buy it for use in front of the couch. Also, the Apple TV can stream anything from iTunes. It may not be required, but ATV would go hand in hand with the new service.

It's a novel idea, but like many have said, the quality of the TV involved will be sub par, even in comparison to 480p. Even if they offered shows and such in high definition, one would have to have a monster connection to handle it. If the networks agree to it, I have a feeling the service will flounder out in no time flat.

mook33

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
This could be interesting, though I don't think it will catch on.
There are a lot of people out there (myself included) that don't have cable or satellite.
And, while there's not much TV I think I'm missing out on, being able to watch a show...whenever I wanted...would be quite nice. Though I don't think I'd pay $30 a month for that access.
Apple does let you "rent" HD movies over itunes, so I think it would possibly be HD; we'd have to see.
And, many people also do actually have their PC's / Macs, whatever, hooked up to their main TV/theater (as I do) for sound and visuals.
I do, however, think this would be a niche market.
People on the road might benefit a lot from this though, since they could catch their favorite shows at anytime on their laptops, etc...
This could be interesting to watch develop, as I'm sure Apple wouldn't consider [if this is indeed legit & being pursued] doing something unless survey data/market research warranted it.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]If the TV service was in HD AND I could record episodes I would definitely consider their service. Although I doubt that will happen.[/citation]
This.

And it provides yet another option to cable companies that over-charge on everything.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
already seems like a ripoff.

$30 a month is very expensive, especially since it is a recession. unless they can offer all of known tv shows, like every show listed on tv.com (old and new) and also add new shows at the proper time, which means if a show will be out on monday at 7PM, then it better be on the itunes monday at 7PM and all commercial free.

companies like apple cant offer the ease of use and instant ready content like how a cable tv provider can offer, and at about 60-70% of the price of cable tv the only thing they really have going for them is if they can offer all of the content even the latest content commercial free

news channels will also have to be 100% live (with the inclusion of some episodes of news shows)

it has to offer the features people come to expect with their cable tv service like a guide for when shows will be available, the ability to download the shows (DVR) and to set it apart it has to have no commercials

G

I wouldn't let i-tunes anywhere near my computer. Not with Apple Almighty hovering in the background. No thanks!

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]agolimbu[/nom]I would without question sign up for this. utorrent had made it so easy to catch up on shows you miss during broadcast, forgot to DVR, or got interested in before premier that I use it all the time. It would be great to pay one price per month to my ISP and then just pick and choose whatever I wanted to watch on my phone or PC (Yes I have them both).[/citation]

There I fixed it

hennnry

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Things like this make US so behind the technology curve from the world. Granted, US has the capability and financial system to produce the most advanced hardware, but the services are so bad, so behind the time and so costly all at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.