Report: Apple Working on a Television Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
How come Apple news are always 'fresh' on Tom's (nothing about this on TUAW yet) while other (PC related) news (not reviews) are usually somewhat late?

G

An Apple tv? So it will have half the features of a standard TV at twice the price

G

Expect cheap asian parts enclosed in a rip off Apple casing.

ctbaars

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]because apple tv is revolutionary![/citation]
Yes. White trim; won't come in black for a while. And a uni-body aluminum frame. And of course; a power cable and one hdmi interface to minimize the cable clutter.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Uhmmmm ... no. Apple is going to charge $5000 dollars for 30" TV.

I paid $500 for 43" plasma just this year. I gaurantee there is nothing Apple could possibly due to a tv that would make me even consider paying the ridiculous prices they are going to ask.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
1) TV is garbage. (Honestly, why do you need one apart from a big screen?)

2) Apple TV is iGarbage.

Though, I'm sure iZombies will be conviced it is magical enough to buy it even if they don't need one.

TheGuardian

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Great, Apple will start suing other TV manufacturers claiming they invented the HDTV...

Actually, how about every TV manufacturer ban together and sue Apple? Give them a taste of their own medicine hehehe

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]AIstudio[/nom]And when you have reception issues apple will say that you are holding the aerial wrong!!!!![/citation]
Noooo..... You're holding the remote wrong!!!

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
It will have a great UI, be hooked into iTunes directly, and you'll be able to use your iTouch or iPhone as the remote.

I can see the marketing motivation behind it. With such a large purchase you will use iTunes, because you are not going to buy an Apple TV to hook up like a normal TV.

Unfortunately it will never fly because of bandwidth costs, and really what features can Apple offer you that is not already built into most proprietary PVRs offered by the cable company?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
They'll probably make it 2560x1600 and be the first to do so (it's crazy other manufacturers haven't done this on a large screens yet) and then will actually be able to claim they did it first. And it actually will look really pretty and shiny and people will buy it no matter the cost. Unfortunate, yes, but that's how I'd imagine it will go.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]It will have a great UI, be hooked into iTunes directly, and you'll be able to use your iTouch or iPhone as the remote.I can see the marketing motivation behind it. With such a large purchase you will use iTunes, because you are not going to buy an Apple TV to hook up like a normal TV.Unfortunately it will never fly because of bandwidth costs, and really what features can Apple offer you that is not already built into most proprietary PVRs offered by the cable company?[/citation]

See, that's what I call an iZombie :D I can use my 7-year-old PDA as a remote ALREADY. And my iRiver mp3-player TOO. NO INNOVATION HERE. And I'd be able to use my phone, too, if the phone manufacturers didn't decide to abandon IrDA as "unnecessary". (It was... but the ability to control any TV around was priceless for trolling everybody IRL)

And why would I use iTunes and have an UI on a TV? It's just a big screen which must play movies. And I don't need iTunes or any other service for movies.

So, you're right. Apple can't offer anything new here [that makes sense]. Not because it's already used by someone else, but because it's a TV. There is only so much you can do to it without turning it into a PC with limited functionality.

Thank you very much for providing me with a book example of an Apple fanboy post.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Sony should sue them when it comes out. Some of the new Sony net TVs have white backs and rounded edges. That would be a knee slapper.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I'm guessing it will be 32" and just $13,495.
That's only $250 a month for 6 years what a great deal!

Honestly I can predict this one...
1. It will have built-in apple TV functions
2. Access to iTunes and the movies/video rentals/purchasing on there
3. Possibly able to act as a DVR
4. Will definitely have a camera used for face to face chatting
5. Built in wireless or a second model or adapter that allows wireless
6. It will likely have the ability to use various "apps"
7. Could possibly have a browser
8. Could possibly have VOIP calling

G

@burnley14

might want to check out DPI, TV traditionally have big DPI (which in turn reduce resolution), it assist in disguising motion artifacts, on smaller size screens such artifacts are not so noticeable but on larger screens they may become distracting. A TVs primary job is not to display crisp text or interactive icons but rather moving pictures.

besides what will you do with 2560 x 1600 we barely moved over to 1080p there is absolutely no content in 2560 x 1600 and even if there was and the idea of streaming 2560 x 1600 over iTunes is laughable

Status
Not open for further replies.