Report: Apple Working on a Television Set

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
[citation][nom]liquidchild[/nom]Sony should sue them when it comes out. Some of the new Sony net TVs have white backs and rounded edges. That would be a knee slapper.[/citation]

Haha I was about to say Samsung should sue them but yeah they both probably should.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Panasonic,Philips,Sony,Samsung ,Gg,Toshiba etc prepare to be sued by Apple because you infrige their patent on how a TV looks like!!!!

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]1) TV is garbage. (Honestly, why do you need one apart from a big screen?)[/citation]

Uhh... that's the entire reason a lot of us need one. I don't know about you, but when I'm watching a movie or football game, I like to watch on a big screen, lounging on my couch, rather than sitting in my office chair at my 24" PC monitor.

Will I buy an Apple TV? Almost certainly not, but I love my TV generally. Why the hate?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, since Samsung and Apple are on bad terms now, who is going to manufacture the display screen for Apple TV? ;O

If it's some cheap Chinese factory line, I rather just get a Samsung Smart TV that will probably get sued by Apple who is going to claim their TV is "smarter" and that Samsung copied it.

G

@ikyung

there currently only 2 major fabricator of LCD panels of any kind, Samsung and LG, the reason for this is that Samsung and LG developed and patented processes that enable them to increase yield rates (which LG is currently suing Samsung over infringement), so even if some cheapo Chinese factory wanted to make LCDs they wont be able to produce enough of them to offset cost and turn out cheap panels without investing large sums of money in R&D to developed techniques that increase LCD yield rates

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]They'll probably make it 2560x1600 and be the first to do so (it's crazy other manufacturers haven't done this on a large screens yet) and then will actually be able to claim they did it first. And it actually will look really pretty and shiny and people will buy it no matter the cost. Unfortunate, yes, but that's how I'd imagine it will go.[/citation]

They already have t.v.'s in the works with "Ultra H.D." resolution which is 7,680 x 4,320..
The ipad 2 was rumored to be 2048 x 1200, but it came out at 1024 x 768, so......
Even if it did come out at 2560 x 1200, you'd be better off saving your money for an Ultra H.D. tv.

1. If it's touch screen, then it's gonna have fingerprints like mad.
2. if it has IOS, itunes, then that means you are gonna have to pay for each show.
3. If it's apple, it means you are probably gonna have to pay 3 times what a normal t.v. with same specs cost.
4. it won't have hdmi, it'll probably have some kind of proprietary connections that only work with apple products.
5. repairs are gonna be expensive, because only place to get it repaired will be apple.

Me and my wife both have iphone 4's, and I have an ipad.. I like the ipad, because i can sit on the couch and use it, and it has good battery life, but i'd much rather have windows 7 or android devices. Just waiting for my contract to be up.. So sick of apple and itunes.

G

It wont be anything new except a white bezel and people will go nuts to the first company that makes it (successfully).

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Lemme guess. It'll only play streams purchased from their apple store and will not allow for an individual to do anything that would require knowledge to operate.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]ctbaars[/nom]Yes. White trim; won't come in black for a while. And a uni-body aluminum frame. And of course; a power cable and one hdmi interface to minimize the cable clutter.[/citation]
No way will it include HDMI. That would mean that you could watch content that doesn't make any money for Apple on it. It will have WiFi but only connect to Apple's iNetwork link or the iTunes store.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I wonder if Apple will go to the grave site of the inventor of television, Boris Roswig and sure him.

Hmmm, suing the dead. Now there's a genuine innovation Apple could patent.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]amigafan[/nom]How come Apple news are always 'fresh' on Tom's (nothing about this on TUAW yet) while other (PC related) news (not reviews) are usually somewhat late?[/citation]

ditto

wonder why they haven't registered itomshardware.com or tomsihardware.com?

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Gee Whiz,when is it gonna come out! I've heard about this along time ago & Apple still has not brought out a single TV yet. I thought by now they'd have a TV out by now! How many more times are they gonna come out with these reports,press releases,etc...before they bring out their first TV...

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]They'll probably make it 2560x1600 and be the first to do so (it's crazy other manufacturers haven't done this on a large screens yet)[/citation]
They never put good stuff out up front. Does Apple TV even do 1080p yet? Last i saw it was still at 720p. This ensures that next release will get everyone to re-buy it. It is a simple fact, if you make it too good, no one will get a new one every year or 2. As such, that is unlikely. There are so many people that just broke cell contract after cell contract to keep up with the latest thing(that is not apple exclusive). So much profit.

user_ace

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]I wonder if Apple will go to the grave site of the inventor of television, Boris Roswig and sure him. Hmmm, suing the dead. Now there's a genuine innovation Apple could patent.[/citation]

Actually, the first television was invented by a guy named Philo T. Farnsworth, a direct ancestor of Steve Jobs!

just kidding, but it really was Philo who invented the boob tube

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Though they're already conquered a place in any homes in the PC, phone and media player department, I'm not so sure about a TV itself.

For one, the product cycle of a TV is not as fast as a computer - so how will you sustain sales?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]1) TV is garbage. (Honestly, why do you need one apart from a big screen?)2) Apple TV is iGarbage.Though, I'm sure iZombies will be conviced it is magical enough to buy it even if they don't need one.[/citation]

internet by me alone costs 80$, but if you bundle cable and phone with it, it costs 90-100$
its not a bad deal when you have kids, and until netflix gets their streaming act together.

now as for tv themselves, you can get a realy nice 60 inch screen for less than 2000$ and it is most likely 3d to boot.

i want to get one for my computer, not as the normal screen but the cinima screen, mount it to the cealing, and get a hq mount co i can adjust the angle and there, i can lay in my bed.

cupple that with... is it razor thats making the computer motion controller? and an on screen keyboard, and i could lay in bed all day watching movies, good tv shows, and popping in a bluray and donning the glasses and watching a movie in 3d.

Status
Not open for further replies.