Report: AT&T Stores Almost Sold Out of Nokia's Lumia 900

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Android is designed to load up as many apps as possible in the memory when it's not used, but you should be too concerned as most of them should not actually be using processing power. They are loaded so that once you do use it, it is snappy.Unfortunately, some of the poorly written ones will drain some power, so programs like Juice defender are needed.[/citation]
I didn't say they were using battery power. That's why I don't automatically kill them with a task killer as that would just use more CPU cycles. I said they were using RAM. And they are snappy enough opening while closed.

You see, this is the issue I have with Android. I don't need it assuming what apps I want open. Let me open it. I know what I want, I don't need my hand held. I don't need Picassa, QuickPix and the Gallery all opened when I use my camera. I don't need my camera remaining in memory when I am not using it. It's silly to have to back out of a program or click the Home button. Give me an exit option. Close all apps that an app opens when I close the app.

And I am sick of people trying to make flaws seem like benefits. It is of no benefit to automatically have things open. If someone has say Pulse set to automatically download data in the background, fine, that person wants it to open automatically. I however have it set to download when I choose to download something manually. Since I download news manually, I don't need Pulse opening itself. And it doesn't pop up on screen any faster than say Tunein or Weather Channel, two apps that have the Exit app option and don't open by themselves.

It's not even like Android knows what programs to automatically close when memory runs low. The first thing it closes is a replacement launcher. Why? It's getting to the point of stupidity. I can't imagine what it's like to be someone with a hundred different apps on their phone.

And I shouldn't have to root the phone and use yet another app to freeze programs. Not to mention I have talked to some very knowledgeable people on the Phandroid forums I go to frequently who say that freezing an app doesn't neccessarily keep it from opening when an associated app is opnened, like how the Gallery opens when I open the camera. Of course there's no need to open the Gallery just because I use the camera. I don't even use the stock Gallery, I use Quickpix. Let me take a picture, save it and EXIT out of the camera, which of course does not have an Exit option. If I want to view the pic, I will open up whichever photo gallery program I want to use.

Honestly, people who defend this are the same type of people that would be screaming against Microsoft if Windows worked like this.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I think the one thing that you can't deny, is that WP7 is written well. It's a very fast OS because of this.

The downside is that it lacks some functions that iOS and Android have, however I suspect M$ will add them soon, they'd be stupid not to right?

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Add me to the list of people looking forward to WP8. I almost bought the SGSII last September. My iPhone 3GS had been out of contract since July and I was eagerly awaiting the GSII. I decided to wait one more month and see what Apple had up their sleeves with the "iPhone 5". Well it was just a 4 with faster proc, same small screen, etc. But, what's this, the Galaxy Nexus and Razr are launching in one more month. By that time, I decided to hold onto my old iPhone a little longer to investigate the WPs. I hear good things about Droids, but the whole root it to fix problems or get the latest OS (ICS) thing kinds bugged me. I realize the single core phones run great for Windows and WP7.5 was a huge improvement over the last OS, but I'm a bit of a hardware junky and want the dual-core processors so I'm holding out.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]
And I am sick of people trying to make flaws seem like benefits. It is of no benefit to automatically have things open. If someone has say Pulse set to automatically download data in the background, fine, that person wants it to open automatically. I however have it set to download when I choose to download something manually. Since I download news manually, I don't need Pulse opening itself. And it doesn't pop up on screen any faster than say Tunein or Weather Channel, two apps that have the Exit app option and don't open by themselves.[/citation]
A flaw is an unintended problem, or at least one they didn't attempt to overcome. This was deliberate. I'm not making up an "excuse". So what if a program is in RAM that you don't want to use. It'll be ignored and when you open something else up, it'll be over written.

If they didn't do it at all, no program would be as fast as it could be, as all programs would have to be loaded on use.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]A flaw is an unintended problem, or at least one they didn't attempt to overcome. This was deliberate. I'm not making up an "excuse". So what if a program is in RAM that you don't want to use. It'll be ignored and when you open something else up, it'll be over written.If they didn't do it at all, no program would be as fast as it could be, as all programs would have to be loaded on use.[/citation]
I take it you didn't read the rest of my post.

For one thing, a flaw doesn't have to be an unintended problem. Many things have been intended in a products designed that actually turned out to be a flaw because it wasn't something that enchanced the product but rather hampered it.

The problem with something being in RAM that I don't want is because it will not automatically overwrite open programs I did not open. The first thing it will close is a replacement launcher screen. That in and of itself tells me that this is a design flaw as the fact that I or anyone else that has a replacement home launcher wants that and wants it to remain open.

And sorry, but I have opened several programs while they were loaded in RAM and at times there were not already in RAM. There was no noticeable difference in the time it took the programs to open. Odd how Tunein and Weather Channel open just as fast not preloaded in memory as Pulse or Quickpix does when they are loaded already. This isn't several years ago where it takes minutes for something to load. I doubt that a few unnoticeable milliseconds makes much difference when it increases choice for people.

The fact is you are right, Android does close programs automitcally if RAM becomes an issue. The flaw is seen when it starts closing things I don't want closed because it wants to keep things open I do not want open.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Android as a whole, merely this one issue. It is much better in my opinion that iOS which seems like a glorified multimedia OS. But if Microsoft allows it's users more choice as far as letting me control what programs I want open when, which I suspect they do since it doesn't need the hardware specs Android need because of Android's bloat (and who would have thought a version of Windows would be the non bloated OS) then I will give very serious consideration to a Windows based phone.

As I said before, I do not need my hand held. If desktop Windows were to load programs into memory that you did not want open till you opened them, I doubt very seriously you would be touting it as a benefit.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
I picked up the Lumia 900 for a penny on Amazon when they had it at that price for a couple of hours. The phone has been great so far. I have played some graphically intense games on it too and it has chugged along without any issues. The battery lasts me all day with no problem, even with all that gaming, texting, and chatting. The Cyan is beautiful to look at and attracts people's attention. I am going to put a screen protector on the entire thing and hope I don't drop it. =P

Oh and you don't notice the "bad resolution". Everything is good.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
AT&T Stores Almost Sold Out of Nokia's Lumia 900

Its a better phone than the iPhone 4s. No surprise here. Tomshardware should carry an
article about the fact that Apple sold nearly 4% less phones this quarter. A happy reminder
that you can't keep people in the dark even if they are not too bright.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]but the camera is still noticeably bad.[/citation]Really, all of the reviews I've read, including ones that pick the images apart, have said that the camera (and its Zeiss optics) are pretty good for a phone. There is room for improvement, certainly. But it is a far cry from "noticeably bad".

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Honestly, people who defend this are the same type of people that would be screaming against Microsoft if Windows worked like this.[/citation]
windows does work like this. It is called precaching and supercaching. Granted windows does it very well so that things are truly in the background and easily clear out if the resources are needed for something else.
At the moment I have 4GB used, and 2GB in standby. My understanding is that WP7 is much the same.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]windows does work like this. It is called precaching and supercaching. Granted windows does it very well so that things are truly in the background and easily clear out if the resources are needed for something else.At the moment I have 4GB used, and 2GB in standby. My understanding is that WP7 is much the same.[/citation]
If you have something done like that then something is wrong and was configured on the user side. I have Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop and when I boot up, only neccessary drivers and programs I choose myself to begin at bootup start, such as antivirus.

I have 4GB of RAM in my laptop and 8GB in my desktop and after bootup, barely 1GB is used. So it seems you have an issue.

And Windows does not open up programs on it's own. You can set a lot of programs to start at bootup, and yes, there are some programs, very few, that don't give you a choice within the application to disable start at boot, but Windows gives you a way to disable that inside of Windows itself. And no program starts all by itself once Windows is already open. I don't have to worry that Photoshop is going to magically startup after I exit out of it.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
my brother in-law works for MS, and he obviously uses a Wph but he really loves the phone and does not understand why MS doesn't advertise more. I have used several Wph's and i really like them too. Wph is the only OS i have considered when my Pre2 dies but i will probably buy another Pre2 on ebay, cause i just love webOS ( i know its sad )

G

I had to go to three stores in Manhattan to get the phone; the first two were sold out by 6 in the evening and the third had it in stock only because I showed up early in the morning!

I had an HTC inspire before the Lumia. It is an awesome phone, but the battery barely lasted 8 hours (even with switching off the GPS, Mobile internet and Wi-Fi). I still have to charge the Lumia everyday, but it at least lasts me through a day.

The WP7 saves time exactly as advertised: it takes me a total of 3 seconds to receive, check and (if needed) delete an e-mail, less to check weather and calendar. The media organization could be a little (read: a lot) better though. Overall, I love this phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.