Report: Blackberry Storm 2 Coming October 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
If they're correct, the unit will retail for $599 at Best Buy locations with no service agreement. That's a lot of dough!

And I though the PS3 used to be expensive...I can buy two of those for the price of this thing!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I am going to get one IF IT IS NOT AS SLOW AS THE STORM 1

My only complaint with my current storm is that it is just SLOW. I am pretty sure it can be fixed with software but RIM does not seem to care enough to do this....the TOUR with the same hardware is MUCH faster

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
This is what I do not understand.... Cell phones have been around how long? the telephone part of your cell phone costs maybe $2 in parts, the processor and screen, keyboard, etc might cost $20 in parts, and yet the phone retails with out a contract for $599 ? My netbook for $349 has more parts value than a cell phone and the company is making a profit from the netbook...

I do not like government regulation, but the whole cell phone thing has gotten out of hand, the best cell phone out there might be worth $60 in reality, and and an unlimited contract should be no more than $30 a month.

How many of you have read the info on how text messages are send through un-used white space between the frequency's and it is like 98% profit for the cell companies to charge crazy fees for text messaging.

First the auto industry, then the health care industry, next the credit card industry and then the cell phone industry.

I just needed to see a dentist and even with good insurance they wanted a $350 deposit, what a scam.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Well, I personally am unable to design, manufacture, market and support a phone at a $599 price point. A new phone is a lot like a new car... you have a limited time to sell it and actually make money because it quickly starts to lose value as other models come out. While I'd never pay $599 for a phone, I'm pretty sure my EnV Touch is a $400+ phone (without a contract) Verizon has hands down the best coverage in this area so a 2 year contract made sense for me... I paid $49 for my EnV Touch. Seemed like a fair trade to me since I wasn't leaving Verizon.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
How about calling it the Blackberry "Typhoon" or "Hurricane", of course if it's not a spectacular new product, we certainly wouldn't want to call it the "Tropical Depression".

wookiness

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JN77[/nom]This is what I do not understand.... Cell phones have been around how long? the telephone part of your cell phone costs maybe $2 in parts, the processor and screen, keyboard, etc might cost $20 in parts, and yet the phone retails with out a contract for $599 ? My netbook for $349 has more parts value than a cell phone and the company is making a profit from the netbook...I do not like government regulation, but the whole cell phone thing has gotten out of hand, the best cell phone out there might be worth $60 in reality, and and an unlimited contract should be no more than $30 a month.How many of you have read the info on how text messages are send through un-used white space between the frequency's and it is like 98% profit for the cell companies to charge crazy fees for text messaging.First the auto industry, then the health care industry, next the credit card industry and then the cell phone industry.I just needed to see a dentist and even with good insurance they wanted a $350 deposit, what a scam.[/citation]

What you think a "part" in a given cell phone should cost versus the actual part cost to make is very different. I guarantee that a screen such as the one in BB Storm or Storm 2 does not cost just 20 dollars to manufacture. I am willing to bet a screen like this cost roughly 150-220 dollars each. I find it funny when people figure that their FREE phone they got was in fact a free phone. When in fact it likely was a 160-200 dollar phone. My point is that there is a lot more than 2 dollars for a radio/antenna, screen and keyboard that goes into a phone. Also, the amount of money that is made on a netbook or any computer is 5% or less.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]wookiness[/nom]What you think a "part" in a given cell phone should cost versus the actual part cost to make is very different. I guarantee that a screen such as the one in BB Storm or Storm 2 does not cost just 20 dollars to manufacture. I am willing to bet a screen like this cost roughly 150-220 dollars each. I find it funny when people figure that their FREE phone they got was in fact a free phone. When in fact it likely was a 160-200 dollar phone. My point is that there is a lot more than 2 dollars for a radio/antenna, screen and keyboard that goes into a phone. Also, the amount of money that is made on a netbook or any computer is 5% or less.[/citation]

True wookiness, the research and development cost is high, now I do not agree that they need to make it back in the first two months of release, but then again perhaps they do given the short life cycle of todays cell/smartphones.

G

It couldn't be much worse than a Storm 1. For my company I support nearly 2000 Real Estate Agents of which I've come across about 30 Storm users. EVERY SINGLE ONE has had to be replaced by its user at least TWICE.
Don't get me wrong, its a nice device, but hey, you though Vista was rushed to market. You ain't seen nutt'in til you've seen this P.O.S's record!!!!
Please God let the Storm 2 be more reliable. Until then I'm still recommending iPhones - rock solid, if a bit geriatric! (Oh, and crappy network too!)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]JN77[/nom]I just needed to see a dentist and even with good insurance they wanted a $350 deposit, what a scam.[/citation]

You know what else is a scam? Waiting 3+ months to use an MRI. Of course that is what you wait in Canada on average because government run health care has stifled innovation, the doctor to patient ratio has skyrocketed, and there isn't enough money for equipment. There is a way, however, to get an MRI within a week if you live in Canada. You can either be a dog, be a cat, or fly to the United States and have it done almost immediately.

Which system needs fixing? The one that costs more but you get the treatment you need right away or the one that is "free" but you don't get the treatment you need right away.

Why is it that people all over the world fly to the United States to get medical care? By a showing of hands, how many people here in the United States fly to other countries to get medical care? ... I don't see any hands. For profit = innovation. Innovation saves lives.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
tayb, you are spo wrojg its not even funny, MOSt US people goto other countries, my country is cheaper than your for healthcare, ever hear of healthcare holidays, health care in my country is ALOT cheaper than the US

G

If you know that china underground factory produces a cheap version of iphone (although not fully functional as iphone) only costs around $20.00 street price, you know that $599 is indeed expensive.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You know what else is a scam? Waiting 3+ months to use an MRI. Of course that is what you wait in Canada on average because government run health care has stifled innovation, the doctor to patient ratio has skyrocketed, and there isn't enough money for equipment. There is a way, however, to get an MRI within a week if you live in Canada. You can either be a dog, be a cat, or fly to the United States and have it done almost immediately. Which system needs fixing? The one that costs more but you get the treatment you need right away or the one that is "free" but you don't get the treatment you need right away. Why is it that people all over the world fly to the United States to get medical care? By a showing of hands, how many people here in the United States fly to other countries to get medical care? ... I don't see any hands. For profit = innovation. Innovation saves lives.[/citation]
Yet some Canadians swear thier Healthcare system is top notch. *rolls eyes*

I was planning on getting a blacberry for personal use but...ouch! I am in the middle of my 2yrs contract. I'll wait. Personally, I would take the HTC Touch Pro II over this.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"You know what else is a scam? Waiting 3+ months to use an MRI. Of course that is what you wait in Canada on average because government run health care has stifled innovation, the doctor to patient ratio has skyrocketed, and there isn't enough money for equipment. There is a way, however, to get an MRI within a week if you live in Canada. You can either be a dog, be a cat, or fly to the United States and have it done almost immediately. "

Dude, just stfu, you have no idea what you are talking about. It took me over 2 months to get an MRI and I live in the US. My doctor said that he wanted me to get an MRI but he had to ASK the freaking Insurance ripoffs first. My doctor also told me that they would deny it the first time, which they did, and he would have to escalate the request. Who would you rather have paying for your health insurance? A company that profits off giving you the least amount of coverage their contract says they can or a government agency that doesn't make a profit that you helped elect? You can keep lining the insurance companies pockets and keep buying them mansions. I'm done with that.

Oh, and btw, 95% of people on Medicaire think it's great.
Over 65% of people that go bankrupt, you know losing all the property you own, do so from medical bills in the US.
The US is ranked 33, next to Cuba, in health care.
45,000+ US citizens die EACH YEAR, from not having health insurance since they have no access to a regular doctor.
If you have no insurance and get cancer, some politicians (rebulicans) suggest you go beg for help at a charity.

The greatest country in the world spits on its people with such poor health care. I really hope you get some disease or injury that requires multiple surgeries/long term care, you go bankrupt, lose your home, loe your health insurance, and freaking die 20 years early.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The US pays 2x as much as the second closest country per person in health costs. Why? Because we have a middle man that wants to profit off of us.

I work for a company in the US that also has a similar location in Canada providing tech support. I talk to my counterparts there all the time through an instant messaging program. We get paid the same hourly amount and the SAME EXACT taxes. Just one difference, he gets all the health care he wants while I have to pay for stupid health insurance which I need to subtract from my pay check.

The Canadians that come to the US for coverage are paraded by the health insurace industry on their commercials/lobbys every day. These Canadians are probably rich or hypocondriacts(sp?). Shoot, how do you suppose Steve Jobs got a liver so quick while others wait up to 5+ years for one? Money talks.

Health insurance is not health coverage btw. You still have to go broke if something catastrophic happens. The doctors will still try to sue you if they can if you don't pay up. They sure sued me when I didn't pay the last 5% of my bill when I was disabled for over a year recovering from a car accident that was not my fault.

You guys live in la la land. You guys have no clue. Talk to someone that has to go to the doctor for a chronic condition or has had a bad accident/serious disease, and see how much they "love" our pathetic health industry.

bad_code

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
If it has wi-fi I would get one without a contract just to develop apps. Then maybe i'd get the cell service. The simulator for the blackberry is really cool but its still a simulator. The whole reason I don't like my iPhone is because I need a mac and I have to write my code in objective-c which is currently used on Macs only as far as I have seen. Used C/C++ and Java on AIX, Solaris etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.